Mr
Ryan from United States  [4 posts]
9 year
So I'm trying to make Roborealm see and interpret a chess board. Basically, I have it now to where it will see the pieces, and that they are different from the board. Now I need to somehow overlay an 8x8 grid and give a 1/0 y/n for whether there is something occupying each space (like if each space was a button pushed by the pieces).  How can I do this?
Steven Gentner from United States  [1446 posts] 9 year
If you post an example image that your setup would see (i.e. camera looking at chessboard with some pieces present) that might get a better response.

Naturally, the more square the chessboard appears from the camera's view the easier this will be. (i.e. top view looking down on the chessboard).

STeven.
Ryan from United States  [4 posts] 9 year
Well, the perhaps an easier goal is something like this: if you set up a chess board, the details you are shown can be filtered down to something like picture 1. you have a grid, and 32 pieces which always start in the same spot. therefore a chess game can be simplified down to "E2-E4" type coordinates. If the white knight moves up, from G1 to F3, we get picture 2 in the coordinate system. In this way, a game can be notarized.

So far, I have been able to get the pieces detected as in picture 3 (color temporarily left in for human reference),  I have affined it to a square, and adjusted the camera to be straight down. Now I am looking for a way to get from that point to picture 1, and then be able to read the coordinates. Is all this possible inside of RR?

Steven Gentner from United States  [1446 posts] 9 year
Ryan,

Yes, it is all possible. You might want to take a look at

http://www.roborealm.com/tutorial/Marble_Maze/slide010.php

which uses a similar technique of simplifying down the maze into a 2D representation. Yours will be easier since you are looking for delta between the start of the move and the end of the move.

One thing you will need to do first is to align the affine or perspective transform to the chess board. That will get you a solid equal representation of the board which is needed in order to quantify it into a 2D representation.

If you're not quite sure how to do that, just attach the original image here.

STeven.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index