More for EDV
Anonymous
12 year
Hi, ED, it is Mel. Hope you don't get tired of helping me. Thanks. I am a person with the disease ADHD and I have a hard time comprehending what people say to me. Sometimes they get frustrated by having to repeat so much.

It is not your fault. The robot I am working with is not co-operating very well.

I understand that I put it in Obj REC mode. Train and object and then it will follow that object around by placing it in Navigate mode. Is this correct?

I tried a few objects , but it did not work as planned.  The only thing I could make it do is go backward by putting the object too close. It did not follow the object. But, the part about backing up worked.

Also, When I am in Roomba Status, The control works beautifully and strong. But when I have it in Navigator, the wheels, especially the  left wheel almost doesn't turn like it was wanting to turn, but it was not strong enough. The other program controls it fine. ???? Don't understand.

Next, I go into Nova Gate mode to control it through the arrow keys. This part works, but weak as I said earlier.

Next , I put it in Walking by the Gates mode and train it. It created a map. But, when I went to navigate by map, it turns in circles and wants to backup a lot. I tried training it for Pt 1 and Pt2. It trained it, but did not work very well also.

I know that this is something I am doing wrong. But, I look forward to when you have the other plugin update ready so I can navigate autonomously. I just want to let it go in a room and not worry about it bumping into things using the camera, not the bumpers.

It is a roomba 405 with windows xp pro. It has very little on top of it except the notebook and a plastic head.

I have also installed the casters to make it easier to carry.

Thanks for your help, my friend.

Mel
EDV  [328 posts] 12 year
Don't worry about ADHD because your comments show me that you are clear-thinking man.
You are motivated person with great aspiration to creative work.

I think that your doctors just fabricate not existing diagnosis for their personal profit ;)

Do you have access to "DVR Module"?
http://www.roborealm.com/help/EDV_DVR.php

This module could help in making clear this situation because it capable to archive value of variables (such as NV_TURRET_BALANCE, NV_L_MOTOR, NV_R_MOTOR) simultaneously with video stream when AVM Navigator is running:
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3443&d=1314812632
Anonymous 12 year
I have it available. But, I don't Exactly know how to use it. But this would make the motors turn more solid and sure?

Thanks for the kind words.

Mel
Anonymous 12 year
again, the Roomba Status controls perfectly.
When I train in Marker mode, the robot first goes around in circles. Then it heads in the wrong direction and runs into the furniture.

????
Anonymous 12 year
I tested it about 20-30 times.  It goes to the place on the map, but it is NOT the place in reality. It is usually 10 feet off of the mark.  The batteries are dead, so this is all i can do tonight.

There must be something wrong in the way I am doing this, I guess. When I operate it with Roomba Status, it all works perfect. But, I need something automatic.

Thanks,

Mel
Anonymous 12 year
I forgot to say that I changed the camera JUST IN CASE it was causing this with the auto-focus. But, the new camera did the same thing.

Mel
EDV  [328 posts] 12 year
>> I have it available. But, I don't exactly know how to use it. But this would make the motors turn more solid and sure?

The DVR Module would archive the values of the control variables and reaction of the robot on them (video recording) and then I would be able to analyze the results and develop a plan for how to fix it all on your robot.

First let's try to install the "DVR Client-server" package and then will attach it to your RoboRealm project:

1. Follow instructions of “Setup” chapter for installation of "DVR Client-server" package: http://www.roborealm.com/help/EDV_DVR.php

2. Append DVR server plugin on video-processing pipeline in your RoboRealm project and then disable video detectors: VR_MOTION_OBJECTS, VR_WENT_TO_LEFT, VR_WENT_TO_RIGHT, VR_WENT_TO_TOP, VR_WENT_TO_BOTTOM like in this robo file:

program.robo
EDV  [328 posts] 12 year
Now let's configure list of archive variables in DVR Server module: NV_L_MOTOR, NV_R_MOTOR, NV_TURRET_BALANCE, NV_LOCATION_X, NV_LOCATION_Y, NV_LOCATION_ANGLE, NV_IN_TRG_POS_X, NV_IN_TRG_POS_Y, NV_IN_SET_MODE, NV_OBJECTS_TOTAL, NV_GATE_HORIZON.

You can make it by yourself (just follow "DVR Server configuration" instructions in DVR manual) or copy prepared "Prm.cfg" file from this ZIP archive to your database folder (you can see location of current database directory in log window of DVR server dialog window):

Prm.zip
EDV  [328 posts] 12 year
Now let's configure the DVR Client for displaying of archived variables.

You can also make it by yourself (just follow "DVR Client configuration" instructions in DVR manual) or copy prepared “Frames.ini” file from this ZIP archive to your DVR Client install folder on your computer (for example: “C:\Program Files\DVR_Client”):

Frames.zip
EDV  [328 posts] 12 year
Now you ready for your robot navigation experiments and DVR Server will work like "black box recorder" in aircraft.

When several robot navigation experiments will be done you should archive DVR database (choose the "Copy archive\Create database archive" from DVR Client dialog window) and then upload this archive to anyone file exchange server and give me link on it.

As soon as I download it I will be able to take detailed analysis of situation on your robot.
Anonymous 12 year
Thanks for the reply. My batteries are dead and I have to wait until SUN to get them charged again.

Mel
Anonymous 12 year
Dear ED,

Well, I tried to go through the procedure. But my DVR_Client files are NOT a Roborealm plugin. I got them from one of your other posts on another forum I think.
     You are a Genius as well as Steven. And your programs are well worth the money you get.
      But, the problem is, I am an old retired man who lives on a fixed income with my wife. I simply cannot afford the plugin at this time. So, it will have to wait. I may try ROS or something open source.
      You have been so nice and so has Steven. I appreciate  your help.

Mel
Anonymous 12 year
Hey, Ed!
    I sent seven 20meg sections of a 133meg file through email. Hope you get it ok.
    Hope that I did the black box ok.

Thanks,

Mel
EDV  [328 posts] 12 year
Thank you!

I got the archive and it really contained useful information for me :)

The first problem that I see is robot turn speed (it is too fast).

How AVM Navigator interacts with your Roomba 405?

If you use http://www.roborealm.com/help/IRobot_Roomba.php
What variables you use for motor control NV_L_MOTOR/NV_R_MOTOR or NV_L_MOTOR_128/NV_R_MOTOR_128?

I think you should use variables NV_L_MOTOR_128 and NV_R_MOTOR_128 in IRobot Roomba module.

Can you affect to robot motion speed from AVM Navigator dialog window by parameters Move/Turn speed?
EDV  [328 posts] 12 year
>> Do you know of an easy file exchange server?

I think we could use: http://www.dropbox.com/
Anonymous 12 year
I am using the NV_L_Motor_128 and same for right.

I have not played with move/turn speed.
Anonymous 12 year
OK, I just found move/turn speed. What do you suggest I put it on 49? for each?
EDV  [328 posts] 12 year
The turn should be slow.
So, you can try for example "Turn speed = 49" and "Move speed = 59" or less.
EDV  [328 posts] 12 year
1. The camera should see general view (it is must be not floor or cleared wall but textured images). Hold camera forward and parallel to the floor.

2. When you trained robot on route (in "Marker mode") and you want to return it back to the start position then you should first switch AVM Navigator to "Object recognition" or "Nova gate mode" (for manual control). As it showed in tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVz9iBazqug

3. Object recognition in "Navigation by map" mode cause to loss of quick-action. Clear the object recognition memory before starting of "Navigation by map" mode (press "Set key image size (New)" if it needed).
EDV  [328 posts] 12 year
>> Do you use color matching or just grayscale matching?

The AVM algorithm use only grayscale matching and it not allow to AVM see difference between green and red balls. So, good object for recognition with AVM should has appreciable texture. Also you should endeavor so that the object occupies as much as possible the square of interest area (red rectangle) during training because for AVM anything that was placed in interest area will become as object (background also).
EDV  [328 posts] 12 year
Good object for AVM training is big postcard. You could try it as object for recognition.
EDV  [328 posts] 12 year
=================================================
I think that it all that I was able to comment from your recent archive.

So I will be waiting new black box archive from you for next analysis ;-)
Anonymous 12 year
Where would I adjust it for grayscale or color? I only have to two items: roomba and Nav plugin in the pipeline. Do I need more items there?

Mel
Anonymous 12 year
OK, ED, here is the Link if I am Lucky.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43297890/DVR_Archive%20-%20%5B27_09_2011%2019_10_55%5D.zip
Anonymous 12 year
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43297890/DVR_Archive%20-%20%5B27_09_2011%2019_10_55%5D.zip
Maybe this one worked better.
Anonymous 12 year
Sorry, Ed. I could not get dropbox to work properly, so I emailed you 18 plus files and finally got them shipped.

Thanks,

Mel
EDV  [328 posts] 12 year
Thank you for the new black box archive I got it.

However we could use another file exchange service:
http://unite.opera.com/application/132/
EDV  [328 posts] 12 year
>> Where would I adjust it for grayscale or color?

The colored video converts to grayscale inside AVM Navigator application but it importantly for understanding that AVM can't discriminate two different objects with helping of color.

Now I want draw your attention to the next problem: “What your robot see and how it affect to navigation?”

In our case the robot uses only limited sequence of images from camera for navigation. The AVM Navigator application just tries to recognize images so that be able to understand robot location. And if you show in route training process of some image sequence (just lead your robot in "Marker mode") then in automatic navigation mode the robot should have possibility to see the same sequence of images without anyone changes. Otherwise AVM Navigator will not be able to recognize images and it will cause to fail in localization and navigation.

So, there is no sense to guide robot into your direction because you is moving every time in front of robot camera and it cause to impossibility of further route recognizing in "Navigation by map" mode.

You should just choice the route in the room where robot will see the same image sequence in "Marker mode" and "Navigation by map" too ( as in my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVz9iBazqug ).
EDV  [328 posts] 12 year
Another problem that I see is empty cells in the trends and tables:
http://edv-detail.narod.ru/trend_empty_cells.png
http://edv-detail.narod.ru/table_empty_cells.png

It means that another application (or plugin) is blocked the AVM Navigator during about 1 second from time to time. It cause to problem with automatic navigation control because AVM Navigator can't works properly in real-time with blocking.

You could open task manager and try to find unnecessary applications that take CPU time and then you should try to disable it.
EDV  [328 posts] 12 year
You can compare trends from your robot:
http://edv-detail.narod.ru/trend_empty_cells.png

with trends from my robot (3Q NetTop Qoo - Intel Atom 230 1600Mhz):
http://edv-detail.narod.ru/dvr_client_trend_2.png
Anonymous 12 year
ok. I should make the robot go away from me instead of toward me. I will try that.

One thing I cannot understand is the robot Vears or Favors the Left direction instead of straight. If I try to go in a straight line, he will always go Left.  But, with the Roomba Status program, he will go straight. That doesn't make any sense at all to me.

Thanks,

Mel
Anonymous 12 year
I see the trends mess up.

The notebook is a 17" and is about a month old. It is brand new. I am running windows xp media Center EDition. It is tuned for peak performance. I am controlling it through another computer with TeamViewer.  It is hard to type on a notebook while it is hooked to the robot.   I will look into what is using the resources. It is a dual core X2 AMD cpu. It has 4 gigs of DD3 ram. It should be fast enough.

Thanks,

Mel
Anonymous 12 year
Ok, I checked everything out. Here is what I have. I have a main computer which is a 9300mhz Dual Core Intel. It is running winxpMCE.  I have it running TeamViewer Software. Teamviewer is controlling a dual core intel 32 bit machine which is running Utorrent and downloading movies continuously.  The main computer is also controlling three notebook computers. Two of them are new and one is about a year old. So, altogether, I have a main computer controlling three notebooks and a desktop.  Now Utorrent is ran on the main computer and also on the desktop which it controls.  I don't have utorrent hooked up to any of the notebooks. But, when I right click and go to properties, Utorrent is showing up in the task manager to the tune of 32,500k.  It is showing up on ALL of the notebooks because it is on the network, I guess. I only use one notebook at a time , but the desktop stays on all of the time and the main computer stays on most of the time. I believe this is the area that is burning up the resources. I don't know how to fix it.
EDV  [328 posts] 12 year
>> If I try to go in a straight line, he will always go Left.  But, with the Roomba Status program, he will go straight.

I think you can make simply experiment for clearing of this situation:

1. Save your current RoboRealm project for backup.
2. Place single IRobot Roomba at video-processing pipeline and then disable motor control variables.
3. Set the values of motor control (left and right) to 170 (or bigger) by manually.

And if the robot in the same manner go to the left instead moving forward then it could caused by inner  problems of IRobot Roomba module and you should ask Steven about it.
EDV  [328 posts] 12 year
By the way I use Radmin for robot remote control: http://www.radmin.com/
Anonymous 12 year
Thanks for letting me know. I use TeamViewer and it is simple to understand and free to home users.  I have no money to invest. But, the one you showed me is free for 30 days only.
Anonymous 12 year
I went through the process with your suggestions.  It seemed to work a tad better, but still ran into the walls and furniture. I have to fix the heart beat problem before I can fix it , probably.
EDV  [328 posts] 12 year
You could just try Radmin application trial version for clearing situation with blocking of AVM Navigator (you could make new experiment and record parameters to black box).
Anonymous 12 year
I don't want it to mess up Team Viewer because that is working perfect. But, if I figure a way to do it without messing up TeamViewer, I will.  ;
Anonymous 12 year
I really think that it is Utorrent that is hurting things. But, I am not in a position to shut it off right now.
Anonymous 12 year
I have since taken the robot completely apart. I will built another maybe more perfect one. I will probably test it very simply with only the notebook on top of the roomba with some velcro or something. That will see if the weight was causing it to go left or right by itself.

Also, I will shut off the utorrent by removing it.

After that is over and I still have problems, I will install the program you suggested.

This will take a while since I am going to completely re-do the robot.

Thanks,

Mel
EDV  [328 posts] 12 year
Okay, I will wait news from you ;-)
And I wish you good luck with your robot update!
Anonymous 12 year
Thank You, my new Friend!

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index