Feature Request: Contour Points
from United States  [214 posts]
14 year
Hi STeven,

You may recall that in my omnivision tutorial I use the Harris Corners module as a way to get back the contour points for the side fill blob representing the clear floor spaces inbetween obstacles.  I just now noticed that the Harris Corners module tends to cut the frame rate in half so I'm guessing it is a fairly intensive operation.  Can you suggest another way to get the contour points with less reduction in frame rate?

I have attached a .robo file that illustrates the point.

Many thanks!
patrick
program.robo
Anonymous 14 year
Patrick,

Could you include a sample image that you get with the Dlink module? I suspect that the cut off is due to the number of points. Currently the Harris corner detector finds a max of 4000 points ... which is probably a bit low so we will up that maximum and test with your image.

Harris is a somewhat taxing algorithm, we will also add in a fast harris detector which speeds things up a bit but still gives relatively stable results.

In terms of your specific task, have you tried the sample_line module?

http://www.roborealm.com/help/Sample_Line.php

As that may be much quicker and give you a better spread?

Regardless, the updates to the Harris module should also solve your current issue.

Those updates should be up by Mon if not sooner.

Thanks,
STeven.
from United States  [214 posts] 14 year
Hi STeven,

Many thanks for the quick reply and promising upcoming updates.  In the meantime, how did I miss the Sample_Line module?  I think that will work perfectly.  And it has a much smaller impact on frame rates than the Harris Module.  The one small catch is that it includes all the points along the bottom edge of my side fill blob which the Harris Corners module does not catch because there are no kinks there.  Since I'm using the points to indicate the presence of an obstacle, I'll have to eliminate them in my algorithm.  This is easy to do but it might be nice to have something like an "Ignore Border Points" option or something like that added to the Sample_Line module.

In the meantime, I have attached a typical image from my DLink 920 webcam.  I'm using a fairly wide angle lens on it so the edges will appear a little bowed.

--patrick

Anonymous 14 year
Patrick,

Ver2.13.5

1. Harris points increased to 15,000
2. Fast harris checkbox included in Harris dialog interface
3. Sample_Line includes a border padding option to remove points to close to the image border.

Let us know if you need any other changes ...

STeven.
from United States  [214 posts] 14 year
Hi STeven,

Works beautifully.  Many thanks!

--patrick

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index