Unable To Upload ftp images
NairB from United Kingdom  [41 posts]
15 year
Dear RR,

I am using RoboRealm Version 1.8.21.1 and having problems upload images using the ftp module.

I have tried all variations of hostname address such as ftp.MYADDRESS.com or ftp://MYADDRESS.com and RR says it is unable to connect, check hostname and port. I have also tried different port numbers. My Username & Password is correct also.

So I am totally stuck!!

Can you help me pleasssse.

-NairB :)
Anonymous 15 year
NairB,

You should just enter in the hostname or IP address without any prefix such as ftp:// etc.

BUT Ftp is not as standard a protocol as we would like so there is most likely some other issue going on. Can you use the site contact us form to send us your hostname and perhaps a temporary account (or if not possible then just the hostname) that you are trying to connect to and we will have a look. Most likely some communication with the remote FTP server is throwing the module off a bit.

STeven.
NairB from United Kingdom  [41 posts] 15 year
Hi STeven,

Thanks for the quick reply as usual. I have tried without the prefix also and still it won't work.

My site address is www.yamahabikersforum.com and as I said tried all variations of the hostname with and without prefix including www and ftp and just yamahabikersforum.com on its own.

Hmmm, what do you think?

-NairB
Dave from United States  [84 posts] 15 year
Hi NairB,

I don't know if they made any changes or not being I'm way back using version 1.8.18.8 since I lost control of my buttons with the newer versions with the FTP feature on.

I think when I used it (if it hasn't changed), you'll have to put everything on one line such as  www.yamahabikersforum.com/director/filename, else like this  www.yamahabikersforum.com/pictures/image.jpg  As I said, I don't know if any changes were made to this or not, if so, it might not work this way either?

Dave
Thanks Dave,

I tried putting "www.yamahabikersforum.com" into the hostname box and "www.yamahabikersforum.com/image.jpg" in the filename box, so it should ftp into the root itself but still hasn't worked.....it just wont login to my site. Whereas my ftp program does and my browser itself when I input the same username and password......hmmm......its now bugging me lol.

-NairB
Ok, I think they made a change since the last time I used it. The version I used or tried there was only one box to put the path and file name.

Dave
I forgot to mention, that was the original problem with the FTP feature of RoboRealm. After they corrected it, I lost all control of all my buttons on the website to move the cam.

Dave
Anonymous 15 year
NairB,

You would keep the hostname and path/filename.jpg as two separate entries in that module. When you try this do you see a popup with an FTP error? We've upgraded RR to better report back FTP errors with the last round of updates. Perhaps you can check the latest version and post a screenshot of that error popup that will better help us debug the issue. We tried your hostname and it seems to work fine ... naturally we cannot login since we don't have an account but at least the hostname is being contacted and responds correctly.

STeven.
Hi STeven,

I downloaded this version but didn't try the FTP feature out being I still cannot control the cam's from the web page, so I went right back to the older version. After doing this It came to me, whatever the problem is within RoboRealm with the FTP module that won't let me move the cam's with the Orbit module, is this also effecting other modules not to work correctly and you don't know it or others don't know it?

Dave
Anonymous 15 year
Dave,

It is probably some configuration issue with the newer version. We have extensively tested both the webcam and FTP modules and they both work fine for us. Unfortunately we are not able to replicate your issues. Other modules seem to be ok too and as far as we know you are the only one with this issue (but most likely others are just not posting anything if they are having issues).

Can you try just using the robofile given with the internet camera tutorial and the index.html file supplied with the RoboRealm.zip file and see if reducing the system down to just the basics works for you in the newer versions? That's what we have been testing and the configuration that appears to work.

Or alternatively, mention the live url in this post (I forgot your url) and we'll try to replicate what you have and see if we get the error.

Hopefully we can drill down and solve this issue!

Thanks!
STeven.
Hi STeven,

I did some more messing around and got the up/down/left/right buttons working but they would only pan/tilt to the max, no steps. The preset buttons I couldn't get to work at all. I also lost my camers when choosing the video sourse and the two buttons below were "washed out", couldn't use them. Then one of the biggest problems I seen (heard first) was the fans in the computer speeding up and when I checked RoboRealm was using 60% to 81% of my CPU. This isn't good, at least for me.

I did use the Robo file as you suggested. As a matter of fact I uaed the one you suggested plus my old one along with both the index file supplied and my old index file, all giving the same results.

I guess for now I'll just use the older version and wait a few weeks and see if anyone else has any problems other then me. Maybe someone else may have the same issues, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I like the program, it's just way over my head and I myself don't really have the time to try and figure things out. Not that I have anything important to do, just I things that are more interesting to me then trying to figure out what to do.

I'll be checking the posts now and then to see whats going on and I may give it another shot one of these day's I'm bored to death...... I don't like giving up. I should also go check out the "help" page and doc's some more and maybe try starting from scratch. At this point when starting RoboRealm with no modules loaded, I'm pretty well lost.

Thanks for all the help though!
Dave
Hi STeven!

Well this evening I had some free time here to do nothing so I messed with the new version of RoboRealm and this time I got "almost" everything working correctly. I now have all the buttons working on the website, and the FTP module seems to be working good. The only problem I'm having at this point is I'm still not getting the "date/time" to be in the picture FTP'ed to the website. I moved the modules around, yet I can't seem to get the date/time on the picture uploaded, but I'll keep messing here for a little bit.

I think what really threw me off here was I didn't know a lot of things were updated on RoboRealm, I didn't even know the FTP moudule was added until you told me it was. I think it would be a good idea if you could post in the fourm when ever an update has been made to RoboRealm no matter how small it is, that way the user's of the program would know things were updated.

I found that I and probably other people don't read every post if it doesn't concern what they are using RoboRealm for. So if someone aske's if you can add this or that or to correct a problem, you may answer them and tell them you made a change or added a module. If itr has something that I or someone else really don't mess with, we might not read the post and won't know that the program has been updated.

I don't think there is a section on the website listing updates unless I over looked it somewhere? It's just a suggestion if its not listed and it will keep everbody up to date on what changes were made to RoboRealm and what the latest version out is. Of course this will make you a little more work, like you don't have and do enough already. But the only time I knew the program was updated was when you replied to someone with an update and I just happen to read that post.

Thanks again!
Dave
Anonymous 15 year
Hi Dave

Changes are listed at http://www.roborealm.com/downloads/version_log.php but you can also click on the latest version number on the home page to bring you there. It lists every little bug fixes done to RR.
Whooopeee, success guys :)

I also got it ALL working, both FTP upload and all my buttons using the latest version 1.8.23.15. My customized index.html file also works a treat.

See here for the "Buttons image" - http://mainstreetcam.webhop.net/

See here for the "FTP upload image" - http://www.yamahabikersforum.com/images/roborealm_image.jpg

Th FTP upload is a super facility to have on the RoboRealm application because as well as giving viewers the option of looking at a "live video stream" we can now also let them view a less bandwidth consuming "jpeg image"....brilliant!!

Thanks again STeven & team and to you also Dave for your help :)

- a happy NairB
Thanks Anonymous,

I think I kind of missed that because I was looking for a button at the top of the page with "Home" on it. A good thing the RoboRealm link to the home page wasn't a snake, else it would have biten me!

Way to go NairB! Glad to see you got it working also. When STeven said it worked for him, then I knew it had to work here, and if it didn't. it was because of something I'm doing wrong.

Happy Caming all!
Dave
Hi STeven & RR,

Everything is working great with the FTP upload but I am finding the FTP connection is staying "open" inbetween uploads and this kills my bandwidth.

Is it possible to have a "close connection" between each upload to stop this bandwidth drainage happening?

Thanks again folks.

-NairB :)
Hi NaiB,

I'm not sure if I'm correct here, but with this connection you shouldn't be using any bandwidth being your only "connected" to the server, not uploading anything. Depending on how many connections you are allowed to your server, it will cut down that number by one being you are always connected. The only way I know you would use up any bandwidth if you are staying connected an uploading images every few seconds. If you look at your modem if you have a DSL modem, and nothing else is running, you shouldn't see any lights really blinking as in "activity" going on. Once RR counts down to the timer to upload an image, you will then see the lights blink as the image is uploaded, then quit again.

I could be wrong on this, but I don't think any bandwidth is being used just being connected to your FTP server, only when uploading/downloading is in progress do you use any bandwidth.

Dave
Hi Dave,

I am using another FTP upload program (webcam32) that uploads every 60 seconds but gives you the option to "maintain FTP connection". If I leave the "maintain FTP connection" selected, my Bandwidth speed falls dramatically using up my daily bandwidth allowance after a few hours because it stays connected to the server, similar to the RR FTP upload. BUT, if the webcam32 programs "maintain FTP connection" box is unselected, my bandwidth remains unaffected for weeks etc.

I am wondering then if RoboRealm can also have a "maintain FTP connection" option built in also so that after the image is uploaded, the connection to the FTP server is immediately closed similar to the webcam32 FTP software I am using.

Here is a screen capture of the "webcam32" preference screen with this setting....

Hi NairB,

Yes, when I used to used Webcam32 years ago, that's the way I had it set, to disconnect after it uploaded the image. I just don't know how any bandwidth would be used if your not uploading or downloading anything? Are you sure someone isn't staying connected to one of your cam's using up your bandwidth? Thats why I always wished RR showed any connections at the bottom in the main window, without having to open up the web server window to check.

I know I have had people connected all day to my cams at least one, and some times I get a person connecting to all the cams at the same time and just staying there, so thats 9 cams (if they are all up) they are pulling video or images from! If I see this happening and it goes on for a period of time, I just block there IP address for a month.

So I could be wrong on RR using bandwidth by just staying connected to your server? Will be interesting to find out if it does or not.

Dave
I also agree Dave that you wouldn't expect my bandwidth to be comprimised if nothing is being uploaded but for some reason if either RR or webcam32 FTP is always connected as I mentioned in the post above....it pulls my connection way down. When I stop the RR FTP upload or disable the webcam32 "maintain connection" box everything is fine and my bandwidth is fine.

I don't know why this happens but what I do know is that webcam32 will work all the time due to it being "not" connected all the time whereas RR will eventually drag bandwidth down. This is why I need the same "maintain connection" option put on RR.

As I say, when connection to FTP server is "maintained" on either program....bandwidth drops until I switch off RR or disable the "maintain connection" box in webcam32.

Here is the webcam32 screen capture again with the option I would like to see in RR...

Ok NairB,

I have a question for you here. Are you talking about your actual bandwidth or are you talking about the fps dropping in RR? Again I find it hard to believe that you are using bandwidth by not transfering anything up or down and it would take a lot of images to be transfered to amount to your bandwidth cap.

The reason I asked if you are going by your actual bandwidth or if you are going by the fps shown in RR, is because I have a similar problem on one of my computers running RR.

Whenever you ran another program on the same xomputer RR is running you you will notice the fps dropping way down, then they come back up. But on this one computer sometimes if I start another program RR will drop in fps then come back up where its suspose to but in a little while drop again and keep dropping. Also at other times RR will be running fine until someone connects for a bit and the fps drop and they never do recover to its normal state.

So if I have RR set at 10 fps, this is ok for awhile, but after some time it will start to drop and I end up with 2.5 - 4.5 fps and stay there. The only way to get back to 10 fps is to either restart RR or open the server window or the video option window (I forget which) then just clse it and the fps comes back up to 10 fps.

So my question is basicly are you going by your actual bandwidth used or are you going by the fps in RR? Maybe this isn't the same problem your having but I thought I'd mention it just in case it was.

Dave
Hi Dave. It's my entire bandwidth that lowers from 4Mbps to 56k. So even opening google takes for ever and will take several hours to recover once I stop the FTP connection completely in RR or disable "maintain connection" in webcam32.

It only happens as I have mentioned if one of these FTP upload connections are "maintained" and no other program, software or application draws my bandwidth down so much.

What stops it happening, if I deselect the "maintain connection" box in webcam32 or disable the FTP upload module in RR, although setting the RR upload to a longer upload interval to say 1 mins+ helps as my FTP server shuts itself down by the looks of it stopping this drain.

Webcam32 works fine uploading every 30 seconds, as long as the "maintain connection" is disabled, the function I need on RR.

It is very strange Dave but only by disabling the FTP connection between uploads on either program, stops my entire bandwidth lowering to 56k.

The RR frames per second is nothing to do with it.

The webcam32 screen capture with the facility I need is below...

Hi NairB!

Yes, that is strange! From the way it sounds you probably already done this, but I take it you ran Webcam32 with the maintain connection "checked"? That is of course with nothing else running on the computer besides Webcam32. I was just wondering if for sure that it to brought down your bandwidth after some time of running?

Yes, your problem is much different then the one I'm having. Here my fps keep dropping, but only on the one computer. Don't have a clue either to whats going on there. Good luck! I'm sure you'll get this figured out, if nothing else that box not to keep a connection may be your only answer.

Dave
Anonymous 15 year
NairB,

RR should not be transmitting anything inbetween the specified frequency. But in case something else is going on we added the "Maintain FTP connection" in 1.8.23.21 just uploaded to the site.

Note that if you don't specify a time frequency the FTP module will upload as fast as possible and will then saturate almost any network. So if the above does not help ensure that your update frequency is set to something.

STeven.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index