Using more cameras.
Robert from Czech Republic  [4 posts]
17 year
Hi,
I trying to use roborealm for visual control and becouse the controled object is very complicated part I need use more cameras.
Main problem is ,that my experiences with programing are very old :-).
So could you give me simple how to manual to use more cameras in Robotrealm.

Thanks
Multiple Cameras
Anonymous
17 year
Could you describe a little more how you would like to use more than one camera? Are you thinking of Stereo vision? Or are you thinking of switching from one camera view to another after some condition or test is reached? Or are you wanting to processing two camera views simultaneously?

Thanks,
STeven.
Robert from Czech Republic  [4 posts] 17 year
I want to get images of oilmodul from more angels, so I need use more cameras. I can use switching from camera one to another after some conditionaly test ( I don't know how long times it takes ) but procesing four cameras simultaneously could be better. Ofcourse combination of these two solutions could be good.

Thanks
Robert  
Multi-Camera support
Anonymous
17 year
Hi Robert,

This is just to let you know that we added in multi-camera support last week. See the Mosaic module at http://www.roborealm.com/help/Mosaic.php for an illustration for how this can work. Note that all modules that use an image selector now work with multiple cameras. Let us know if this does not suit your needs.

STeven.
Thanks very much
17 year
I was have some solution, but this is better. It is perfect becouse by modul Mosaic i can save pictures from more cameras (in same time) in one file and it is very good argument for customer.
But mabe there is one think that could be better. For a testing I use cameras with 0.3 Mpix with maximal resolution 640x480 but my experience with modul Mosaic is that maximal resolution of picture from one camera is 320x240. For real working condition I count with using 4 Mpix cameras.
Is the maximal resolution of picture from one camera depend on tipe of used camera ?
But most important thint is that i can switch image from diferent camera by modul Math.

Thank ones again

Visual control going to start...

Mosaic Size Limitations
Anonymous
17 year
Robert,

Yes, the Mosaic module will restrict the image size to 320x240 for each image as we have a total image size restriction of 1280x1024 in RoboRealm. The reason that we don't increase beyond that size is due to space and CPU limitations. Knowing that images will always be below that size allows us to keep things as fast as possible.

Thus, you camera's are probably fine ... it is the software that prevents you from increasing beyond 320x240 in the Mosaic module. You can, however, process one at a time at 1280x960 as you have probably noticed.

Just out of curiosity ... what would you do with a 2560x1920 video stream??

STeven.
Thanks for information.
17 year
I want find small aluminium chips on a black gasket from rubber ,that protect leaking between oilmodul and motor.

Thanks a lot
Robert
Anonymous 17 year
Robert,

Thanks for the image ... if you need any further help on finding those "chips" please include an image that shows then as we're not sure where they are in the image that you included.

STeven.
Bug & stitching together 2 cameras
hibou from France  [30 posts]
17 year
Hi STeven. I upgraded to the version created yesterday 11 March and now I can only see one of my two USB-2 cameras. With my old version (Nov? 2006) I could switch between the two; I can still do that with another application, and I checked in XP that both cameras are working correctly. But no matter which camera I select in RoboRealm, the selection box reverts to blank and the view remains with the one camera. (I can only see the other if I unplug the first).

When I try Transform/Mosaic (the reason I upgraded) I can load the "current" view, but RoboRealm crashes when I try to load the other camera. I wonder if this is because the cameras have the same (long) name except for #2 on the second name, which is the only one that displays. The USB-2 camera converter dongles are Belkin F5U228, which are otherwise excellent.

I am interested in Mosaic transform because it would allow me (I hope) to stitch together two cameras with overlapping views to widen the field. I understand why the total number of pixels is limited to 320x240 per camera, but it would be great to have ~twice that in the case of only 2 cameras (my camera CCD does 752x582) .

Alan.
multi camera
Ctsuu from Canada  [1 posts]
17 year
I have the same problem. I try to use 4 same web cameras, RR only pick up the first one. RR is ok to recogenize different brand cameras at same time.
Multi-Camera
Anonymous
17 year
Ctsuu,

RoboRealm should work with different brand cameras at the same time. Alan's problem was in using same brand cameras that would confuse RoboRealm since the camera names were so close. This has anyhow also been resolved.

Are you not seeing the many cameras in the dropdown within the Options Dialog? What cameras are you trying to use? Please also make sure that you are using the most recent version of RoboRealm as is it often updated on a weekly (and sometimes daily) basis.

Thanks,
STeven.
Mulit Camera display
Anonymous
17 year
Problem solved. Thank you very much.
Now I am running into another problem, How to write an avi file?
How to pick up the compress format?

Thinks in advance.
Anonymous 17 year
See the help file on how to write an AVI
http://www.roborealm.com/help/Write%20AVI.php
hibou from France  [30 posts] 16 year
I'm coming back to this because the kind of stitching of multiple cameras that I was talking about can now be done with an ImageJ plugin called "MosaicJ" http://bigwww.epfl.ch/thevenaz/mosaicj/

"MosaicJ" allows you to drag the images of the various cameras so that common regions overlap. Then the plugin adjusts the images to get the best fit (registration) and averages them to produce a single seamless image covering the larger area. I used MosaicJ to produce a classic panorama of the mountains around here and it works really well - easier to use than dedicated panorama stitching programmes that I have previously used.

I also used it with some scientific data, and it was equally effective.

Unfortunately I have not yet managed to input multiple USB cameras into ImageJ as I can with RoboRealm :-) I imagine that this is not an easy thing to program, though an EU project recently developed *real-time* stitching of video images from multiple cameras for airport surveillance (coupled with transponders in the check-in cards) all run by an array of PCs :-)

Alan H., Grenoble
hibou from France  [30 posts] 16 year
I've been thinking about how it might be possible to stitch together multiple cameras in RoboRealm without too much extra programming. Multiple cameras would allow wider fields of view with higher resolution than is possible with special optics - like the panoramas you can construct with some digital cameras using multiple exposures.

At present the separate images are simply placed on a fixed grid. But how about being able to set an (x,y) pixel offset for each image so that they could overlap, with an average used for the overlapping region?

If this offset was set manually it would still work for fixed cameras, and avoid the programming effort needed to stitch images from arbitrarily overlapping cameras.

BTW, it would be good to be able to set individual cameras up to full PAL resolution 720x576 even if the resulting mosaic was clipped to 1280x1024 to speed up processing as STeven explained :-)

Alan H. Grenoble.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index