Linking RR Variable table to VB6 Application
Ian Drennan from South Africa  [9 posts]
17 year
I currently have RR running on a laptop and have a Navigation Application written in VB running on a PC. I communicate between the two computers using the RR Serial module and an RS232 hardwired cable.  Four variables are transmitted to the VB app after each video frame is processed. A single variable is also transmitted back to RR but only infrequently. This all works very well.

I now want to run both RR and the Navigation Application on my laptop.
What is the best way to link these variables internally without using the Serial Module? I suspect one could use a DLL which I have tried to understand but have no experience in C or C++

Any suggestions and/or examples will be much appreciated.

Regards

Ian
Anonymous 17 year
Ian,

You have a couple of options here. The DLL is a possibility but will require C++ knowledge and an idea of how to write and debug DLL's which is not a trivial process.

If you need a variable to be transmitted on each frame then using one of the other Extension languages (like VB or Java) will probably suffice. It will depend on the language your Nav application is written in. See the Extensions download for other examples in other languages. It includes the DLL that you mention but that one is the hardest to understand.

If instead you may not need every frame to report a variable then have a look at the API that can also be used from several languages.

http://www.roborealm.com/help/API.php

Extensions are modules controlled by RoboRealm whereas the API is meant to control RoboRealm.

Extensions allow you to create new modules that will be called on each iteration of the processing loop. They are meant to be incorporated into RoboRealm in order to "extend" the applications modules. They ARE guaranteed to get each image that is processed by RoboRealm and will receive all variables that are current with the application. They can also stop the processing loop (dll only). RoboRealm will NOT run without a required extension and thus you need to make sure your extension is always available (or it is automatically loaded if a dll).

The API allows you to control RoboRealm from another application. You can do similar things as an extension such as getting the current image or placing a new image in the processing pipeline but you are NOT guaranteed to get every frame/variable of the processing loop. RoboRealm will continue to run regardless of if your control program is running (unlike extensions).

So it depends on what you're trying to develop.

Let us know if your Nav application is not using one of the example languages.

STeven.
Ian Drennan from South Africa  [9 posts] 17 year
Thanks Steven for your reply. I did read it yesterday but your reply seems to have disappeared off this thread.

Anyway as my Navigation Application is written in VB6 I presume I must investigate using the VB Pipe extension to read in the RR variables. I will persue this when I get a chance.

Many Thanks

Ian
Anonymous 17 year
Ian,

You have a couple of options here. The DLL is a possibility but will require C++ knowledge and an idea of how to write and debug DLL's which is not a trivial process.

If you need a variable to be transmitted on each frame then using one of the other Extension languages (like VB or Java) will probably suffice. It will depend on the language your Nav application is written in. See the Extensions download for other examples in other languages. It includes the DLL that you mention but that one is the hardest to understand.

If instead you may not need every frame to report a variable then have a look at the API that can also be used from several languages.

http://www.roborealm.com/help/API.php

Extensions are modules controlled by RoboRealm whereas the API is meant to control RoboRealm.

Extensions allow you to create new modules that will be called on each iteration of the processing loop. They are meant to be incorporated into RoboRealm in order to "extend" the applications modules. They ARE guaranteed to get each image that is processed by RoboRealm and will receive all variables that are current with the application. They can also stop the processing loop (dll only). RoboRealm will NOT run without a required extension and thus you need to make sure your extension is always available (or it is automatically loaded if a dll).

The API allows you to control RoboRealm from another application. You can do similar things as an extension such as getting the current image or placing a new image in the processing pipeline but you are NOT guaranteed to get every frame/variable of the processing loop. RoboRealm will continue to run regardless of if your control program is running (unlike extensions).

So it depends on what you're trying to develop.

Let us know if your Nav application is not using one of the example languages.

STeven.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index