Slamtec RPLidar implementation
Gabe from United States  [1 posts]
7 year
Hello!
I am trying to use a Slamtec RPLidar with Roborealm, but can't seem to get it to work. When I plug in the lidar it is recognized by Roborealm and gets the serial number and device name but the device itself will not spin up.

Am I doing something wrong? And is the Slamtec brand RPLidar supported?

Thanks,
Gabe
Steven Gentner from United States  [273 posts] 7 year
Gabe,

As you mentioned in your email, it looks like the protocol is slightly different. We can look more into updating that and have you give things a try. We don't have one of those devices (nor any plans to purchase one soon) so we can make the changes and have you try things out.

Note, given the season and that we have required additions needed for the FIRST 2017 season that we need to get done before Kickoff, we will probably not get to this update until just after Kickoff.

Unless you write the protocol yourself on the RoboRio or have a small PC onboard the robot (see http://www.roborealm.com/FRC2017/ under the Computing for some suggestions) you'd not be able to get access to the lidar stream from the device. Routing it through the RoboRio can work but isn't something we would be able to do. I would recommend a small onboard PC to make that work that you can directly connect to the lidar.

Its also worth asking why? Having a lidar onboard the robot is very useful but unless you plan to use it during the teleop part of the competition, you will not really need it in the 20-30 seconds of autonomous period (might be even less time this year!). I've personally been involved in FRC teams for many years and would highly recommend just getting a very basic move, turn, shoot method that actually uses encoders/gyro as part of the autonomous period. Lidars are great for more sophisticated autonomous systems but I've never thought a team really needed one for the competition ... but I would be *VERY* happy to be proved wrong so please do!

STeven.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index