Plastic tube image matching
Mousa from Iran  [2 posts]
8 year
Hello.
I want to make a vision system in order to handle cylindrical image matching for printed  plastic tube .
in the other word ,the tube is mounted on mandrels and turning by  servo  360 degree and camera should scan all printed pixels , then I want  a flat and normal image in output to do some image processing ( not like Bottle_Unwrap module) .
I need some help , if there is special module available in roborealm or if you can send me a robofile .

many thanks

Steven Gentner from United States  [273 posts] 8 year
Mousa,

There isn't a specialized module that will do what you need. There are two options, you can either use the Bottle_Unwrap module to warp the image into a flat surface and then combine that image with previous images with a known offset to stitch the image into a complete image. Or you can instead just grab the center of the bottle (say a single pixel column) and use that to add to previous images to create a complete image. As the center will experience less warping it may work without any unwarping needed.

As you have it being turned by a servo the offsets (i.e. X amount of pixels to move each subsequent image) would be quite similar and should create a somewhat usable image. You'd have to experiment with what the correct offset would be as its a factor of turning speed and camera fps.

While not impossible, this is a tricky project to get the images to match each other well as the bottle rotates. If what I've mentioned makes no sense whatsoever, you might need additional help from someone more familiar with image warping and stitching techniques.

STeven.
Mousa from Iran  [2 posts] 8 year
Dear STeven
Thanks for your kind reply .
Due to high accuracy of this system to detect defects , after some research , I found out that  maybe the best solution is using "line scan camera" in order to scan each row of picture , and then after 360 deg rotation , it will make a flat template .
But as this device is expensive , I need to know that , is RoboRealm , compatible with line scan camera ?
and can I open their image in RoboRealm for some processing ?

BR
Mousa
Steven Gentner from United States  [273 posts] 8 year
The line scan camera will do what I mentioned by taking the single (or couple) middle lines of the image (i.e. row or col depending on orientation) and stitch that into a single image given a standard rate.

We'd not know if RR is compatible with a particular line scan camera without actually testing its interface. Currently we don't have any knowledge of any line scan cameras that are being used with RoboRealm. If the camera produces an image that is in a standard format (jpg, png, etc.) then RR can certainly load that image ... but doing that directly from the camera will depend on the camera.

STeven.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index