tracking
Jerry from United States  [8 posts]
10 year
Hi All,
Just getting started in computer vision this week. I have had some successes and some failures. This is one that I cannot get to work. I have the camera mounted on a model aircraft looking straight down. I am trying to detect and track a rectangular shape on the ground as seen near the center of the attached photo which is a snap from the video. Using a gopro for camera. Once I am able to track it I will use the COG coords to guide the copter to the pad. How can I isolate the rectangular.

Jerry

Jerry from United States  [8 posts] 10 year
Hi All,
Some more info on my previous post. I have been able to isolate the rectangular landing pad in a previous video that did not have the nearby buildings and the altitude of the copter was lower.(see attached image) and I passed the COG coords to VB thru the clipboard. However in the latest video with nearby objects and buildings I am not able to identify the rectangular landing pad.

Jerry

Steven Gentner from United States  [1446 posts] 10 year
Jerry,

the attached works (after you download the most recent RR version) on the image that you provided first. However, are you able to post a movie somewhere? Using just one frame to verify a technique is not a good idea as it will most likely be too brittle to work in general.

The basic idea is to look for something relatively white, relatively large, relatively isolated from other white things ('further than' attribute) and relatively square. We first isolate potential objects using the adaptive threshold and try to filter the image for invalid stuff to just leave the valid square.

STeven.

program.robo
Hi STeven,
Thanks for the quick response. It looks like RR is going to work for my project. Here is a link to the video. Its on youtube. Can you work with that? I really appreciate your help. I think more practice with the different modules will help me. RR is very versatile and easy to interface with other applications.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOgzw3xMCD0

Jerry...
Hi STeven,
The program you wrote works well on the sample snapshot I uploaded but not so good on the actual video. Have you been able to view the video I put on youtube? If you need me to upload to someplace different I can do...

Jerry...
Steven Gentner from United States  [1446 posts] 10 year
Yea, getting the video from youtube worked well. I've attached a new robofile that fixes a bunch of problems that occur within the video. There are still one or two cliches but the general stability of the target detection is good.

You will have to download the latest version of RR and also change the first line of the robofile to your video.

You'll need to take a couple more videos just to be sure that things are tested to a basic level of confidence ... but the basic idea seems to work.

Note that a fundamental attribute is that the landing pad is not placed near to any other white object ... so that's something to keep in mind.

Thanks for the video! Great perspective!

STeven.

program.robo

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index