Cannot start Roborealm
Roland from South Africa  [107 posts]
10 year
Hi

I am trying to get Roborealm running on a machine. (XP)
I get the error message below.

I tried uninstalling, and deleting every reference to it in the registry, then re-installing. I get the same result.

I tried the command line -debug, but no file was generated.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Regards
Roland

Steven Gentner from United States  [1446 posts] 10 year
Roland,

That looks like a corrupted file. You can quickly try to start RR while holding down the CTRL key which will cause RR to start in a default state ... but I doubt that will work.

What I would do is to use that machine to download RR again (using your original download link) and see if that fixes the issue.

You should also be sure that you have permissions to install RR in the right location (C:\program files\) which is sometimes an issue with Win7 but is resolved by right clicking and selecting "Run as Admin" ... but I don't think that XP has that option (sorry been a while since I used that OS).

So,

1. Download fresh copy
2. Run install as Admin
3. Run RR.exe holding down CTRL key

and see if that sequence works.

STeven.
Roland from South Africa  [107 posts] 10 year
Hi Steven

No, it does not work. It runs on my 'internet' computer, and I copied the file to my target machine, where it would not run. I then connected it to the net as you said and downloaded it's 'own' version. I uninstalled the old one, then installed the new. Still not working.

I also tried copying the entire roborealm directory of the working machine onto the other, but that did work either.,

Regards
Roland
After some searching, it seems the error is related to some C++ files that are not included in the installation exe file, including VC80.CRT

I tried downloading VB patches, but this did not work. However, the 'good' machine had a lot of C++ related files installed by the CNC Mach3 program.

So I installed Mach3 (Mach3Version3.043.022.exe) on the new machine, not that I'll use it, and now Roborealm works !!!

Regards
Roland
Roland,

Thanks! That makes sense. It seems that those files are needed specifically in a vanilla XP install. We were trying to replicate your issue but I think all our XP machines (netbooks) already had those files installed.

The error is actually coming from the OS as apposed to RR. In fact, RR is not even running at that point so we're not able to change RR to provide a better alert message than the one you got. That comes from the OS.

We'll reinstall XP to test and see if we can include these files in the RR install so they are already there. XP is still a great OS to use in that its really zippy on todays fast PCs so we want to be sure that RR works well on that OS.

What XP service pack are you using?

Thanks,
STeven.
Hi Steven

My 'internet' machine is SP2, and that is full of programs. RR worked fine on that. I then did a totally clean install of XP, SP2 on an old machine as my test machine, and that's when the error came up. I then installed SP3 thinking that might be related, but it did not help. Then when I installed Mach3 it came right, ie RoboRealm usable.

Regards
Roland
Roland,

Glad that worked out. Specifically you were probably missing the Visual C runtime libraries which got installed when you installed Mach3. They are typically present but no always. For future reference you can download them from

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3387

but we will also include that as part of the RR install going forward.

Thanks!
STeven.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index