Distributor Client/Server
Marc Miller from United States  [10 posts]
17 year
I am having teriable difficulties with this.  I can get them to connect and when it works, it works great.  I am modifying variables, moving my camers/missle launcher and the frame rate is still very good.  BUT...it never works long.  Usually for less then a min.  I can try to modify my robo file and add new filters, etc... but I click to add the new filter and noting hapenes.  The task becomes unresponsive and updates stop.  I usually have to terminate the tasks on both the server and client side and restart yo get my miniute of functionallity back.  Has anyone else had this issue?  Does anyone else frequently use the dirtributor/client to remove processing off the mobile platform and onto a more powerful desktop system?
Distributor Issues
Anonymous
17 year
Marc,

I assume that if you do not add any filters the system keeps functioning for longer than a minute?

We do notice that if the machines have issues connecting there is a freeze that happens while the network connections are being resolved but this goes away in about 20 seconds or so. This only happens when trying to connect to a non-responsive machine.

1. Can you mention what filter you are trying to add?

2. Also, are you using the default 7070 port?

3. Are you using a standard desktop to desktop connection? Or is it from an ITX or other embedded systems?

FYI, we just tested it between two machines for 30 minutes and added in the RGBFilter and Skin filters without any issue.

Thanks,
STeven.
Marc Miller from United States  [10 posts] 17 year
Sure, I can give you all the details.  The server is runing on an ITX board (VIA EPIA SP 13000 LVDS Mini-ITX Motherboard ).  The client is a standard desktop machine.  
The server is running the distributor server on default 7070 port.  After that the only other running module is the DC missle launcher with the variable 'move' (similiar to the keyboard control demo without the keyboard)
The client is running The distributor client module with the keyobard module withing the client start/end.  Just running this will last for 2-5 min but if I attempt to add any filtering (I was trying various edge detection and circle module both in and out of the client start/end) it wil lock up in less then 1 min.  either way I do not get much operating time out of it.

After looking at it today I beleive it is on the server side as I can not terminate the client and reconnect until I terminate and restart roboreals on the server side.  That also happens to be the ITX board so maybe that has something to do with it.
I did find a little more out.  I found that by closeing that Roborealm that is acting as a server (it is still responsive and closes just fine) that the client will 'wake up' and all the modules that I was trying to edit will pop up and continue just fine.
Network?
Anonymous
17 year
Marc,

From your description it seems that you are having some network cliches. The interface of RR is tied into the processing of the images. If an image takes a while to process the interface becomes unresponsive. This was done in this way to allow "live" updates when you change data in the module interfaces.

Are you by any chance running DHCP? Perhaps that is timing out after a couple minutes and resetting the IP address? Would it be possible for you to try the setup in a desktop to desktop situation? I'm wondering how the ITX plays into this. Are you running a wireless network to the ITX? Can you try with a wired one?

If you get some processing them that means the initial connection is good. When the network connection fails a RR client will try to reconnect ... during that reconnect process is when we noticed the interface freeze and is most likely what is happening to you.

STeven.
I will try various conditions tonight.  I am courious if I run 2 copies of RR locally on the ITX board and have them communicate if it will have the same problem.  Yes, I do have a wireless connection from the ITX board, I will try to eleiminate that in one of my tests.  I will let you know.

Any chance of poping up a dialog box 'attempting to reconnect' when the client loses communication and maybe adding a timeout so that if this condition happens, the worse that would happen is that the client would be shut down.
Anonymous 17 year
Marc,

Did you ever get a chance to do those tests? Just curious. If not don't worry.

STeven.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index