Object Recognition App
Daniel Catalano from United States  [1 posts]
11 year
I'm looking for an object recognition app for a smart phone. I want to create a database of inventory parts and be able to use object recognition to identify any part.

Any ideas?
Steven Gentner from United States  [1446 posts] 11 year
Daniel,

First, what parts are you thinking of identifying. The OR module uses a couple different techniques which work well with certain things and not with others. Planar parts like pictures, paintings, etc. will work well but 3D objects that may be rotated to different views will not (unless you have an image for each side). I'd recommend first ensuring that you get good recognition with any app before wondering about the smart phone side of things.

Second, a smart phone has limitations in terms of processing speed (although less every day) and storage size. Sometimes the best phone app is one that sends the information back to a central source and receives the answer. In that way the phone becomes a terminal to a central server. This is often preferred since you can write these interfaces for several phones quicker than re-writing the entire app for each and you can then leverage high speed computing in the backend with a massive database of parts that would not fit on a smartphone.

But this is all predicated on being able to recognize a part successfully.

STeven.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index