Embedded PC
Dawson from Malaysia  [173 posts]
11 year
I plan to get a XP embedded thin client. How would i execute RR. Since it uses flash memory im not sure if i could "install" RR. Do i just copy the Roborealm.exe file from my desktop pc and run it on the thin client via USB thumb drive? Im not sure if it would work.
Steven Gentner from United States  [1446 posts] 11 year
Dawson,

Coping the exe over to the embedded PC and trying to run it is worth a try. If that does not install, copy the c:\program files\RoboRealm folder on your PC to that PC and see if that does the trick. Keep in mind that if the XP box is not connected to the internet you will get the access code prompt. If you do, you can use

http://www.roborealm.com/registration/code/index.php

to get that code assuming you have enough licenses.

Let us know how it goes.
STeven.
Dawson from Malaysia  [173 posts] 11 year
I got into the administrator profile and managed to install it. It seems to work but when i try to run my program it says "low virtual memory". The current specs are:
winXPe
1GHZ VIA chipset
256 RAM
C drive - XPe with 59MB free
D drive - RAM 29MB
How much RAM do i need?
Just to update

C drive 485 MB - 61.7MB free
Z drive (named MS-RAMDRIVE) 29.5MB

There is a tool in control panel that sets the RAMdrive limit to 30MB

Also i checked the system properties for virtual memory and it is set to 0MB
while my desktop virtual memory is set to 1152MB
Managed to get it to work for now by increasing the virtual RAM (still image detection). I probably need to upgrade to 512MB in order for it to work for live video.
Upgraded to 1GB RAM. Works fine now.
Steven Gentner from United States  [1446 posts] 11 year
Dawson,

It will really depend on the image size that you are processing. RR should operate at a steady memory state so once its up and running memory should stay very consistent. But the size of that initial allocation will depend on the image size you are using.

In a 256MB case, I'd not use anything above 320x240 as the OS also requires memory which if it cannot access will start to run very slow.

1Gig memory is much more ideal.

STeven.
Yes you are right. Also does anyone have experience in installing a webcam on an XPe based system. It is not as straight forward as i thought.
looks like i need to swap the flash drive with an IDE drive and run Win XP after all.
Just to update. It works with 8GB flash drive with XP. However the old VIA chipsets integrated graphics utilizes the cpu causing the video capture to not be smooth. New VIA chipsets don't utilize the cpu so it should be ok.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index