Sabertooth Mixed Mode
William from United States  [6 posts]
13 year
Can the Sabertooth module be used to control two motors in mixed mode?
Anonymous 13 year
Yes, that's the regular way the module is used.

In fact you can control up to 16 motors by daisy chaining the controllers.

Is there something that you tried but didn't manage to get working?

STeven.
William from United States  [6 posts] 13 year
No, I haven't tried it yet.  Just got the cable for serial control.  It just seemed that the motors were controlled individually.  In R/C mode, using s servo controller to control the motors, there is a mixing option, so that you can control both motors with one command - forward moves both motors forward, turn right moves left motor forward and right motor reverse, etc.  

The module has separate sliders for each motor.  How do you make two motors react to one command - ie move forward, turn right, etc.
honor_the_ways from United States  [9 posts] 13 year
I got a Sabertooth 2x12 R/C recently and setting it up and controlling it in mixed mode is actually pretty easy. All you have to do is make sure the DIP switch is setup properly (http://www.dimensionengineering.com/datasheets/Sabertooth2x10RC.pdf), meaning switch 1 has to be on/up. When that is done and you hook up the motors and the Sabertooth what you should see is that one channel rotates the motors in the same direction relative to the robot, while the other rotates them in opposite directions relative to the robot.

Anonymous 13 year
Question for other Sabertooth users:

No matter what I do, the Sabertooth always glows blue, Even when I turn it off. Do any of you have that problem?  It works fine. But, it drains the battery very slowly by doing that.

honor_the_ways from United States  [9 posts] 13 year
Glows blue? Do you mean the status LEDs on the Sabertooth?
William from United States  [6 posts] 13 year
With the TTL serial cable, the instructions say to connect only to channel S1.  Then you use the serial commands to control multiple motors through one channel.   The Sabertooth module has slider controls for individual motors and, I image, behind the scenes it is sending the proper commands to the motors when the sliders are moved.  The mixed mode commands are 8 (both motors forward), 9 (both reverse), 10 (right turn) and 11 (turn left).  How are these mixed mode commands sent from Roborealm?  It is not clear how mixed mode is selected or how you get both motors to work together.

And for the question about the blue LED - according to the manual, the blue light stays lit when power is applied and shows the status of the connected control signal.
Anonymous 13 year
Yeh. The status lights stay on even if you turn the complete unit off. They glow at night underneath the robot like a night light.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index