Minimum running specifications
Hugo Wilson from United Kingdom  [3 posts]
13 year
Hi all,
Im currently making a ir triangulating robot using a simple differential motor robot platform controlled through a BRD020 Motor Hawk usb peripheral (http://www.pc-control.co.uk/osc/product_info.php?products_id=103) controlled through vbscript and a microsoft litecam 720 with ir filter removed inputting to roborealm.

I've designed my programmes and they work well on my high performance home pc (its not a particularly strenuous set of code). however i now want to cut the tether and run the whole lot onboard the robot.

i have therefore been looking at mini pc's in particular this one (http://fit-pc.co.uk/Fit_PC2i_Ultra--product--16.html) the fit pc21 ultra. does anyone know whether this will have the processing power to run roborealm alongside excel 2007 and a bunch of vba macros?

If not, what are my options? given that its has got to be small!

Thanks,

Hugo
Anonymous 13 year
Hugo,

The FitPC is a good choice worth testing and fits inbetween a RoBoard and a Netbook in terms of performance. Its almost as small as a RoBoard but certainly quicker. We got about 17fps with no load on the FitPC while getting < 5 fps on the RoBoard just in terms of USB speed. On the Netbooks we'll get the full 30 ... but they are a bit larger.

You could compare the FitPC with the ITX line of products. I'm not sure which would be quicker but if you can test on both that may be the best way to go. Note, the ITX's do require some assembly and are not as plug and play as the FitPC ... but are probably more configurable in terms of hardware.

So, yes, the FitPC will run RR but the final speed will really depend on how large and image you are processing and what modules you are using. If you can use smaller images then going with a FitPC would be a good choice. If you really need larger images you may want to have a look at the higher end ITX solutions.

STeven.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index