Kinect-modul does not show depth-image
Guenter Wendel from Germany  [13 posts]
13 year
After a lot of trials to install the drivers and 2 system restores (Windows Vista) RoboRealm is now able to find the Kinect device, displays the RGB-image and accelerator-values, moves the motor and can change the LED-color. But there is no depth-image and that's what Kinect is all about. After clicking the depth image radio button, there is no depth image, I can't move the motor and I can not change the LED-color any longer. After clicking the RGB-image radio button everything except for the depth-image is working again. Any help is highly appreciated.

Gunter
Guenter Wendel from Germany  [13 posts] 13 year
“Either way we have it operating fine on both Win7 and Vista. “
I am glad to hear that.
But on my machine (Windows Vista Home Premium SP2) there is no depth-image.
Even after following  your instructions for the Vista driver installation the situation is the same as described in my former post: RGB-image, motor moves, LED can be changed, accelerometer values displayed …. but no depth image.
The Windows hardware installation routine, the Device Manager and testlibusb-win.exe tell me that the installation is correct, the drivers are working.
Are there any other options to be adjusted before (framerate, radio-buttons, ….)?
Any other software installations to be loaded, enabled, disabled (DirectX, openGL, virusscan…)?
I suppose it is not a hardware issue because the “CL NUI Device Test” displays RGB-image and depth-image flawlessly.
Please help,
Gunter
Mel Addison  [42 posts] 13 year
I have windows xp. Any hope for that?
Anonymous 13 year
Mel,

Yes, XP is fine ... that was assumed and was the main development environment. So far, we've not heard any issues in XP.

STeven.
Hey, Steve!

I have tried a gazillion times to get the image to appear. Once it was solid green, once it was blinking green, once it was solid orange when it was supposed to be green.
     Where it says source, I only have microsoft capture showing. Am I suppose to see kinect under source.
     It has been very frustrating. But, I will feel better once something works. I am not blaming you. I am simply asking for help. All drivers installed normally and show up in the device manager.
     I am running windows xp.

Thanks,

Mel
I forgot to mention that I am using 2.29.1 which I think is the latest version.
OOPs! sorry, I forgot to tell you that I also tried the opensource test program that came back successful. At that point, I had a little red laser pointer on the kinect until I restarted my computer. It was drawing funny patterns. This was supposed to be normal as per the Opensource comments. But, It simply won't pass the video through the RR Gui. :-(

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Again.
Anonymous 13 year
Mel,

You have to add in the Microsoft_Kinect module in order for the image to show. The 'driver' is not a traditional webcam driver like you normally deal with. It if were then there would be no need for the libusb stuff that you had to download.

STeven.
Steven, as far as I know, I added this module.  I had to upgrade my RR to the lastest version. I added it so I could select microsoft Kinect. I added and ran it. I just can't get anthing but a black picture.
Steven,

Please help!  I need to know if ANY camera should be selected?

Is microsoft Capture supposed to be on?

I know that I have installed your drivers many times.
I have installed a fresh RR software.
I have inserted Microsoft Kinect and ran it.
What else do I need to do. Am I supposed to have a camera hooked up in order to get a picture in the window?  I am very frustrated and feel helpless after hours of work.

Sorry.  I just need your help.

Thank,

Mel
Anonymous 13 year
Mel,

Thanks for the info. We in the process of updating this module to run more efficiently and clear up a couple of known issues. Perhaps one of them is causing this problem. The new version should be up later this evening or by early tomorrow morning.

STeven.
Anonymous 13 year
Mel,

You should not have any cameras turned on (i.e. the camera button would be unpressed) but that would not cause the image not to show. What it seems like is that the device you have is perhaps a little different from the two that we purchased and therefore is not quite compatible with what we are expecting. We're currently looking into this issue.

Keep in mind that without a spec MS can change even the slightest change can stop things from working.

STeven.
I see.  I will be patient and wait. :-(

You have a really great program. I am sorry to be such a problem.

Is there anyway I can let you know what has changed on this unit?

I DID run the kinect test from open source and it DID say that the unit was working fine.

Thanks for your help.
OK, I just read your previous post about maybe having a new version of the module.  Great! Thanks, :-)
Also, Steven, if you could just send me an email telling me the next version is ready. I probably won't know one from another unless you tell me.

Thanks,
Steven, I looked at the software and I could not tell which would be the new one and which would be the old one. If you could make a note telling which one is new. Also, if I go there to download it, I don't know if I am downloading the new one or still the old one. So, if you could make something not the same so we would know that something has changed.

Thanks,

Mel
Anonymous 13 year
Mel,

You can pay attention to the version number that appears in the main title bar of the application. When we make a change and upload it that number will change.

I'll also post here ...

STeven.
Anonymous 13 year
Mel,

New version 2.29.2 is available with some updates to the Kinect module. Can you try and see if this changes anything. Note that we are not able to replicate the issues above so if things are still the same please do not be discouraged ... we're not done yet!

STeven.
Thank You Steven and Happy Thanksgiving! :-)
Steven,

I gave it a try. It got worse. The Accellerometer is now missing. Now, I don't have a black screen, I don't have anything showing. But, it was a nice try. I will wait for another chance. Hope you have a good Thanksgiving and don't eat too much turkey. But, enjoy~!
    I would bring it back to walmart and swap it out, except that the opensource test says that it is fine.
Anonymous 13 year
Mel,

Which one of the open source tests are you using? That may help us narrow down the issue.

STeven.
STeven,

I gave it a try (Vista SP2),
same result as ever and the same Mel has posted. Even a little bit worse. Sometimes I  have the RGB-image, can move the motor and change the LED-color. But after clicking the radiobutton “Show depth-image” the hole system is blocked, no mouse any longer, no taskmanager.... After disconnecting the KINECT, I can stop RR and eveything is working again, besides the mouse.
After these trials I have  uninstalled the libusb0-drivers and installed the platform installer for the “CL NUI Device Test”. The test shows RGB- and depth-image succesfully.
Now I arrived at my other place where I have a XP-PC. The rest of the evening is reserved for a XP-trials.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Gunter

STeven,

I just finished the installation on my Windows XP-PC (XP pro, SP3) and RR 2.29.2 is runnig without any problems (RGB-image and depth-image!!!).

Best wishes
Gunter
Anonymous 13 year
Gunter,
   What did you do differently?
Anonymous 13 year
Gunter,

OK, I put in the CLNUID device test (Not free). And it worked. But, it did NOT work with RR. What did you do after you installed CLNUID?

Many Thanks,

Mel
Anonymous 13 year
So, I guess this means that my hardware is working properly and the rest of the problems are software. At least, I don't have to haul it back to WallyWorld and get an exchange.
Anonymous 13 year
Oh, I forgot to mention that with the latest version, there is no accelerometer.

What about you, Guther, does your acc. work?
Anonymous 13 year
Sorry, . . . .  I meant Gunter.
Anonymous 13 year
To reply to a previously unseen post. I was using the test :          testlibusb-win.exe. But, since I used the other CLNIID test that worked, this first one does not work anymore. It came back with all kinds of numbers and then also said sucess many times.
I just followed the Vista installation instructions.
To avoid any trouble that the windows hardware installation routine can not find the drivers, I unzippd  Kinect .inf and .cat files into the c:\???\libusb-win32-bin-1.2.2.0\bin\ location of the previously downloaded and unzipped libusb-file.(as recommended in the Vista installation instructions) . In contrary to my unsuccesful Vista trials XP started the hardwaredriver installation after I plugged in the Kinect and then I followed step 4 to 11 of the Vista instructions.
May be it is necessary to stress, that this was really the first Kinect installation on this XP-machine. After less successful attempts to install Kinect on my Vista-machine I scanned the PC with usbdeview and despite the fact that the Devicemanager did not show any libusb drivers usbdeview.exe showed 2 Xbox NUI Motor, 2 Camera- and 2 Audio-drivers.

In RR 2.29.2 the accelerometer can not be enabled. Therefore I could not see any accelerometer-data. This worked in 2.29.0 and 2.29.1.

Gunter
Anonymous 13 year
I am running xppro mce.

Thanks for your information.
Anonymous 13 year
I am going to try to attach the file that made the video go through to me.
Anonymous 13 year
Here is the file.
CL-NUI-Platform-1.0.0.1121.zip
All the tests seem to pass. Except NO Kinect with RR.

Thanks,
After wasting one week in endless trials to get a depth image from the RR Kinect-modul  I give in.
No Kinect with RR and my Windows Vista!

Gunter
Gunter,

Don't give up. Steven said it was not over yet.

Mel
Steven,

I have tried upto 2.29.4 without any good results. The latest one does not want to quit when you shut it down.  It does, however turn on the green blinking light and the little red squiglly light. I think it is working, but just not passing the signal through. Also, the Accellerator hasn't worked for many versions. Thanks for not forgetting us and keeping on trying to make it work.
    I know that the hardware is good because that TEST that I attached last time makes everything work but RR.

Also, while I have you, I have another question.  Should the three devices show up as libusb devices about mid section in the device manager, or should the three devices show up on top of the device manager as CL devices?  They have did both for me.
When they are CL devices, the TEST works. When they are libusb devices, the TEST dosn't even work.

Thanks for your Efforts!! Happy Holidays!
Mel

Anonymous 13 year
Mel,

quick update (prior to our full reaction) in that if you have the CL devices installed then the Kinect will NOT work with RR. After installing the drivers you sent it will hijack the system and stop RR from working as it circumvents the libusb driver.

In order to get it back to work you will need to fully uninstall the CL devices using their uninst.exe program and then reinstall the libusb version in order to get RR working. You can also check through the device manager interface of Windows and uninstall anything that looks like it connects to the NUI stuff just to be sure everything is gone before reinstalling libusb.

We may open up a dialog with Code Laboratories to see if we can also use their drivers but that is a longer term solution.

We're also working on a more extensive debugging scenario to better tell why you guys are having problems but more on that later.

STeven.
I am trying to give you as much info as I can.

It gives me an error message that says "unable to find microsoft kinect sensor"

Code Laboratories NUI platform TEST is the one that makes it work. Maybe this will help you understand more.

Thanks!
OK, Steven,

I will work on this end to see if I can get rid of all the stuff and reinstall everything.  But, that at least showed me the Hardware was fine.
Anonymous 13 year
Yup, that's what we got too when the CL device drivers are installed.

STeven.
Hey , Steven!!

We are NOW making progress. Through RR I can control the LED and the Motor.  I NOW show RGB but not depth.  And I would like the Accellerators back if possible. And I completely did away with Core Labs stuff.  yeh!

I will stand by.
Anonymous 13 year
What happens when you check the checkbox right next to the [] Accelerometers group box? Do they enable but just not work? You should see the smoothing interface become white which allows you to change that item. The other boxes will remain grayed since you can't change them but they should start showing numbers from the Kinect.

I assume you are seeing the side by side view but the depth is just completely black?

STeven.
I am now seeing side by side. I had to reduce the picture to 50% in order to get both to show. I don't see a check box next to the accelerometer. Everything there is grayed out even smooth is 0. It won't let me change items.
OK, there was NO box. But when I click where it should 've been it appeared. now I see the accellometer! yeah! I think we are getting there.
OK, Steven!  

Everything is working now with RR.  All I need now is to have a Lisp interface to Leaf (hopefully Dr. Bruce will come up with one.)

God Bless You! You are a Genius~!

Thank You so much.

Mel
Well, it worked beautifully for about 15 minutes and I restarted my machine and it quit controlling the kinect. So, I have to figure out why and install a saved robo file. But, I don't think that is a big issue. It worked so well. I was thrilled.

I will look into this Sunday.

byebye!
It seems that I have to start it several times to make it work. I finally saved it to a robo file so I could do this easily.  After two or three times, it works fine. The RR wants to hang on exit  though.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index