Axis 207MW network camera and MPEG-4 video stream
Mark Etheridge from United States  [7 posts]
13 year
I want to use the Axis 207MW with the MPEG-4 video format. The latency with MPEG-4 is much less than motion JPEG. MJPEG is so slow that the camera is not useable for my application. So I need to find a way to use the MPEG-4 format. I don’t see a way to do this with the current version of RR.

Please help!

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_207mw/

Don’t know if this will help at all but here is HTML code for viewing the MPEG-4 video in explorer.

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
// Set the BaseURL to the URL of your camera
var BaseURL = "http://192.168.1.40/";
// DisplayWidth & DisplayHeight specifies the displayed width & height of the image.
// You may change these numbers, the effect will be a stretched or a shrunk image
var DisplayWidth = "480";
var DisplayHeight = "360";
// This is the URL of the generated media.
var MediaURL = "rtsp://192.168.1.40:554/mpeg4/media.amp";
var output = "";
output  = '<OBJECT ID="Player" width='
output += DisplayWidth;
output += ' height=';
output += DisplayHeight;
output += ' CLASSID="CLSID:DE625294-70E6-45ED-B895-CFFA13AEB044" ';
output += 'CODEBASE="';
output += BaseURL;
output += 'activex/AMC.cab#version=5,3,21,0">';
output += '<PARAM NAME="MediaURL" VALUE="';
output += MediaURL + '">';
output += '<param name="MediaType" value="mpeg4">';
output += '<param name="ShowStatusBar" value="0">';
output += '<param name="ShowToolbar" value="0">';
output += '<param name="AutoStart" value="1">';
output += '<param name="StretchToFit" value="1">';
output += '<BR></OBJECT>';
document.write(output);
document.Player.ToolbarConfiguration = "play,+snapshot,+fullscreen"
</SCRIPT>

Mark Etheridge from United States  [7 posts] 13 year
I wanted to post an update because it looks like I got things working. Axis provides a video capture driver for their cameras. I’ve tested it now with the 207MW and 207W and it works well with RR. Here is a link to the download page http://www.axis.com/techsup/software/capture_driver/index.htm Just download and install the driver. Now you can choose the Axis MJPEG Capture Driver in the Options – Video tab of RR. Camera settings can be adjusted by clicking the Video Capture button on the same tab.

Using this method over the “read http” gave me much less delay and took care of some freezing problems I was experiencing.
from United States  [214 posts] 13 year
This is really a question for STeven: I experience similar delays and freezes with a D-Link DCS-920 802.11g camera which is directly supported by RoboRealm under the Controls/Cameras modules.  STeven earlier explained that this can be caused by traffic on my wireless network but typically the camera and my PC are the only devices on it (and the PC is hard wired in).  Anyway, I'm wondering if Mark's result with the Axis driver suggests that there may be a way to tweak the DCS-920 module to reduce the delay and occasional freezes?

Thanks!
patrick
Anonymous 13 year
That's a good question and probably one for DLink to answer. Certainly if they write a driver to make the DLink camera look like a windows webcam then they may use lower level communication mechanisms to communicate with the camera. I doubt that the Axis cam uses HTTP as the protocol to use with the camera as that's not the best way to send streaming traffic over a network.

The other possibility is that they because they are using MPEG encoding versus MJPEG  the bandwidth requirements are much lower and thus cause the stream to be much more steady. The difference between the two being that MPEG uses next and previous frames when compressing but MJPEG does not. Thus much less data is transmitted with MPEG since most images in a video stream share a lot in common with their most recent one.

We'll do some more tests with the DLink to see if anything jumps out as being an issue.

STeven.

from United States  [214 posts] 13 year
Thanks STeven,

I poked around the D-Link website for additional drivers or firmware updates for the DCS-920 camera but found nothing new.  In the meantime, it occurred to me that I should see if I get the delays/freezes when viewing the image using the Java interface in Firefox and I do get it there too.  So it is definitely not a problem with RoboRealm's interface.

--patrick

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index