Communication method for RoboRealm to Arduino
Evan from United States  [3 posts]
14 year
I'm trying to figure out what will be the simplest way to get my PC, which will be running Roborealm, and will be connected wirelessly to a DLink DCS920 camera to communicate with my Arduino Duemilanove, such as sending simple commands with which to control motors/servos. Currently, I'm investigating three solutions:

1. Use the WiShield ( http://asynclabs.com/store?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=17&category_id=6/ ) to connect my Arduino to the same network that the Dlink camera and the PC running Roborealm is on, then use Roborealm's socket functionality to communicate with the WiShield and send commands to the Arduino.

2. Use a bluetooth method as detailed in the FAQ Method 1, using a USB bluetooth dongle connected to the PC running Roborealm and another bluetooth module (such as this: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=582 ) connected to the Arduino to send commands.

3. Use two Zigbee modules connected to the PC and to the Arduino to communicate and send commands between the two. The Zigbee connected to the PC running Roborealm would hopefully be able to communicate with it via Serial.

Does anyone know which of these three methods (or possibly a method that I haven't thought of) will work best? Right now, I'm leaning away from the bluetooth method because it is the most expensive of the three, and bluetooth communication seems to be the worst candidate for transmiting data quickly while using low amounts of power (this robot will be functioning indoors only). Also, I'm trying to avoid having to write an external program with which Roborealm would have to communicate in order to send commands.

Thanks for the help.
Anonymous 14 year
Evan,

1. We haven't used the WiShield before but this looks like a nice solution and would be the fastest and furthest range transmission. But given that you will most likely not be transmitting images to the Arduino but instead the end results of the image processing this speed is perhaps not really necessary. Also 802.11 configuration is a little tricky without a screen and keyboard attached if you intend to move this device from one network to another (perhaps for a demo ...). But it would still be the preferred solution.

2. We use many bluetooth communication devices .. in fact probably too many since we are starting to get many conflicts with different devices (i.e. we have serveral bt mouse and keyboards that go all strange when some bt robots are running). While the bandwidth is slower it is probably ok for your usage. Typically we steer away from bt these days as that signal space is just getting crowded and the resolution between different bt devices does not seem as streamlined as 802.11

3. We used to use Zigbee with the old SRV system. Worked very well even for image transmissions and was always easy to setup even in demo environments. It just seemed to work ... but keep in mind that this was the only Zigbee device we were using at the time and thus the signal space was not crowded. Speed is much better than bt but for us in transmitting images it was a tad slow.

So, all in all, 802.11 seems to be the best, with Zigbee a second and then BT in the last place. No other method that I can recall comes to mind so unless there is another technology out there that I've forgotten you will be using one of the three.

Naturally, the deciding factor is normally cost ... which will differ considerably depending on the actual device. Unfortunately we don't have any current numbers to give you a better idea on that.

Good luck!
STeven.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index