TRENDnet TV-IP422W PTZ Camera
Scott Thompson from United States  [1 posts]
14 year
Finally got a live video preview via the TRENDnet -110 module, but I have no control over the pan, tilt, and night-vision IR capabilities.  Is it possible to tweak the D-Link PTZ camera control to be useful for the IP422W (i.e., keep the pan/tilt buttons on the control form but utilize the correct communications for the TRENDnet camera)?

This camera will go on a Traxster II robot base, powered by a 12V source.  Robot is controlled with RR using a Bluetooth connection to the laptop, and the camera streams in MP4 and/or MJPEG, VGA resolution, 30 fps.

Thanks for your time,
--Scott Thompson

Anonymous 14 year
Scott,

Unfortunately each IP camera has their own protocol so we'll have to update the TrendNet instead module to support this (which is probably the right thing to do anyhow). We expect that TRENDNet has a couple online examples of their pan/tilt units in demo mode that we can test this out on. If not we may have to find one to test.

We'll let you know of any updates as they arrive.

STeven.
Anonymous 14 year
Scott,

Check out ver 2.11.8 which has an updated Trendnet module with pan/tilt for that camera.

Does that camera also have mechanical zoom capabilities? We did not find any interfaces for that.

STeven.
Scott Thompson from United States  [11 posts] 14 year
Hi--there are no mechanical zoom capabilities, just a 1x, 2x, or 3x digital zoom.

I was looking for a way to download an update (using the trial version right now), and will see if I have to re-register first.  Anyway, I'll give the later version a try...thanks a ton!

--Scott
Hi,

I installed the 2.11.10 build of RR and the pan/tilt controls are enabled with the IP422W camera.  However, pressing the manual buttons or assigning variables from a VBscript program to control the pan/tilt does nothing.

I know I don't have pan/tilt capabilities when I use a guest account, but I do when I use my "scott" (user) or "admin" (admin) accounts.  Yet, I still can't get the camera to move.

To be sure, I changed my camera's port from my set 8085 back to its default of 80 but still there is no pan/tilt movement.

Not sure if it's related, but when I look at the video from my web browser, I get an image in real time (i.e., I can move the robot around and see the video immediately w.r.t. the current movement).  In RR, there is about a 2s delay between moving the robot and seeing a change in the video.

Best,
Scott Thompson
Forgive me!  I didn't really understand what the "group" setting meant, and as I took a shower it dawned on me that I should probably enter "users" or "admin" here, so that the IP422W would know what account to look under (duoh!).

The pan/tilt work fine--thanks again for implementing this camera.  I will look into buying the software and see if I can implement a bit faster processing...

Best,
Scott Thompson
Anonymous 14 year
Scott,

thanks for testing!

If there is a better name than groups to use for that text let us know. It is a weird one that we got caught up with for a while when testing different cameras out. Wonder if users or admin is a better default to use?

STeven.
Anonymous 14 year
Oh, and we're aware of the delay issue from seen image to real environment on other internet cameras and have added that fix to the Trendnet module. Can you download 2.11.11 and see if that delay is reduced? There will always be a little delay but it should not be more than a sec.

Thanks,
STeven.
Well, I purchased RR, because how can one beat this environment even for testing out "things."

Yes, you really did it!  The video response has been significantly improved.  Thank you!

I'm going through the documentation so I can better understand how to speed up my processing code (e.g., maybe using C++).

Best,
Scott Thompson
Anonymous 14 year
Scott,

By code do you mean a roborealm robofile? If so, just post it here and we'll see what we can do to tweak the speed a bit. There are many modules which do similar things but at different speeds for different data. A robofile plus example image would be all we need to see what can be replaced to speed things up.

STeven.
Hi--not a code from the video point of view.  The speed-up is mainly the Robotics Connection Traxster and VBscript engines.  Modifying the example VBscript from the gamepad control with the Traxster plugin.  Even at 57600 baud, there seems to be a lot of processing for the Traxster plugin--especially the analog I/O ports--that slows things down considerably.  

It would be sweet if I could actually use a variable as a flag to indicate when I wanted to poll the analog and/or battery port.

I'm still learning the program, and I'd like to use the C++ to replace the variable modifications that are occurring in the VBscript file.

This is all secondary to the original thread topic, so maybe we can move this section to a new post with a separate title?

Best,
Scott Thompson
Having lots of fun with the new 422W driver--thanks again.  I have been noticing that (1) after a period of time, RoboRealm will lock up with some color block noise appearing in the bottom few pixel rows of the image, and (2) the frame number no longer runs in the .11 driver version (haven't tried .12 yet).  The clock still runs, however.

Been playing with laser lines and tracking and having a blast--going fairly fast considering all I'm throwing at it!  

--Scott
Anonymous 14 year
Scott,

can you tell if the lockup happens consistently at a certain time period or is it more at a random time?

I assume no matter how long you leave it after it locks up that it stays so?

STeven.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index