Read NMEA / data strings?
bigkahuna from United States  [14 posts]
15 year
I'm interested in displaying a compass heading in RR.  The compass I'm considering is here:
http://www.oceanserver-store.com/os3axdico2.html
Are there any examples of how this can be done in RR?  Thanks!
Anonymous 15 year
NCUI,

We don't really have any examples of how this can be done. The serial module will be able to pick up on the incoming serial data but you will have to work at extracting the information from the formatting string. This will probably not be an easy task using the serial module.

Given the nature of the device sending ASCII text you'd probably be better of writing some other program to communicate directly with the device.

Or maybe you'd be willing to pay someone for a RR module?

STeven.
bigkahuna from United States  [14 posts] 15 year
Are there any plans for an RR module for any other digital compass?  I picked the Ocean Server device as it seems to be the most complete / professional unit I've found, but if there are plans to support another device I would consider using it instead.

We might be able to afford to commission a custom RR module depending on its cost.  We've already gotten a quote for a custom OSD device that would work with the compass which is another direction we may go.  We're also still running the demo version of RR and trying to decide if it's what we want to use for this project.  If the costs to develop a custom module are reasonable we might consider it.  Can you give me a ball park estimate?

Thanks.
Anonymous 15 year
Note to others; this discussion has been taken offline.

STeven.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index