IMAGE_TIME
Chris from Canada  [1 posts]
15 year
I have a question regarding IMAGE_TIME. I am currently working on a project for school and using a variety of methods to try and calculate the trajectory of a thrown object using a side camera. One of these methods is by using basic 2d kinematics.

Initially I was simply using the FPS to determine the time between camera shots, however I figured that if the camera were to miss a frame for whatever reason, it would mess with my calculations and give me bad data. Instead I tried using IMAGE_TIME. However when I try to obtain an accurate time, I simply get round integers. I created a structure of doubles in C++ and am able to read COG_X and COG_Y to a great many decimal places but IMAGE_TIME always comes out as 199.0000, 200.0000, 201.0000. Even though the variables I am displaying to the screen are to 6 or 7 decimal places. Any ideas on why this is happening??

As I mentioned before I am using 2 approaches, the second being generating a best fit parabola based on a number of points taken. So far I think that this second approach is the better or the two but during capture, I am getting flicker points which are throwing my predicted curves off. Is there a sure way to reduce random flickering COG points??

--Chris
Anonymous 15 year
Chris,

I agree with the switch to IMAGE_TIME as FPS would not be a great way to calculate this.

What API routine are you using to get the IMAGE_TIME versus the COG_X?
If it is C++ be sure that it is using the atof instead of the atoi routine to convert a char array to a float. If not can you are more of your code?

You can use the Filter_Variables (new module) to smooth the COG points over the last 5 or so samples. That will help to reduce the noise.

http://www.roborealm.com/help/Filter_Variables.php

You may also have to adjust your curve fitting routine to ignore such outlier points.

STeven.
mehdi from Iran  [32 posts] 15 year
i think a new module that send a signal,is best way to solve timing problem!
it can send a signal to report pipe end or report nth line of pipe!
i need it too!
Anonymous 15 year
mehdi,

I'm not sure if I understand your post. Perhaps you can elaborate? It does not appear to be associated with the timing question from above.

STeven.
oh! sorry!
this post should not be here!
this post is a request for end pipe notifier module!
thanks!
Anonymous 15 year
Oh, you mean this thread:

http://www.roborealm.com/forum/index.php?thread_id=3262#2

We will address that there.

STeven.
thanks!

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index