Bug In Code to measure line width
Anonymous
15 year
I downloaded some code to use in measuring the changing width of a line from one of the tutorials.  My objective is to use a camera placed over a conveyor belt to measure the width of the belt at various heights above the belt as the camera moves vertically.  I have made it work already, but had to change filters to make it work throughout the vertical range without interference. When I changed the filtering, the vbscript measuring code stopped working. I am  not well versed at VBScript and RR so I can't figure out why it is no longer reporting the proper number.

One difference is that since I added  a smooth hull filter, the outline seems to shimmy and shake.  I would prefer to have the line rock solid like before, but the conveyor belt is moving and the edges of the belt are kind of rough anyway. Is there a way to quiet the jumpy edges?

I have an AVI that shows the progression of the measurement as well as the unstable edges and the failure of the variable to report properly.  Not sure how to send it to you, but you might be able to simulate with my enclosed .robo and a camera pointed at a black line on whit bg.

Any help would be appreciated.
program.robo
Anonymous 15 year
John,

If you are able to share the video that would be a big help in determining how to solve your issues. Could you perhaps upload a sample video to

http://www.uploading.com/

or similar upload service and post the url here?

Thanks,
STeven.
Anonymous 15 year
First of all, let me offer my gratitude to you for what is one incredible introduction to vision programming. I have been looking for something like this for years.  RR is one incredible contribution to the world of machine vision. You have my vote for the Nobel.

As you requested, here is the link to the .avi that shows the problem.  Notice how the "wide" variablel never changes.  It should range as high as 250.  

http://www.uploading.com/files/3TKDI1FZ/line_sizer.avi.html

Thanks again for your help.
J.
Anonymous 15 year
John,

My mistake ... we were hoping for the original unprocessed video. Having this we would be able to run it through your robofile and see where the VBScript breaks during that processing. Or if not the video a couple frames of the original image where it works and breaks would be ideal.

Thanks,
STeven.

Anonymous 15 year
Steven,
sorry to take so kong to get back.  I think the link below is the file you want.  If not let me know and I will try again.

http://www.uploading.com/files/AOXB9EGN/line_sizer2.avi.html

John
Anonymous 15 year
John,

Thanks for that video. It really helps to understand what you are trying to do. Included below is a robofile that appears to show the correct width of the belt. Note that we added a Read AVI module at the start that you will need to configure with your location of the video you supplied.

We added a mean filter to help remove the "shakes" of the belt widths. These are largely caused by noise in the digitization process of the video. Using the mean module helps to reduce this noise.

On looking at the robofile you used we deleted some extraneous modules that did not appear to accomplish what you were looking for. Try the below and see if there is something missing or if we were on the right track.

STeven.
program.robo

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index