Anonymous 15 year
Hello,

Thank you for this great software, It will help me a lot in my next project.
The task is to scan text on small bottles and perform OCR to get them recognized by our system. (they don't have barcodes, so this is the next best option)
Before doing OCR, I have to compensate the cylindrical shape of the object. I tried the radial distortion mudule, but I need to stretch the image in X direction only.
Any ideas, how I could get this done quickly, without writing a dll?

I plan to utilize Google's Tesseract for OCR. Has anyone tried that already with Roborealm?
Thank you,
Robert

Robert from Austria  [3 posts] 15 year
Hello,
it is working already, I wrote a pipe extension to unskew the cylinder, it's pretty basic, but works well for my task.
Thanx,
Robert
John Christian from Norway  [25 posts] 15 year
Thanks for the tip on Tesseract. I just tried it out and it works great even on handwritten text. I will add the ability for my robot to read a word or a message you can write on a note and hold in front of it. It could also be a nice way of adding a name or a word it does not have in its grammar yet also. A cool way of adding input. I have made the RoboRealm stack for finding the biggest white square and filtering out all around. It works if the background isnt white ofc. :)

For general use I dont think my robot will be able to read anything unless it can bring the text close to its face considering the low resolution the web camera works on now (320x240). But it should be able to take a snapshot image using the cameras highest resolution and use that as input for the RoboRealm stack and tesseract ocr scan. Would be kinda cool to have the robot pick up notes or things with written text on it and comment it based on a dictionary of words, perhaps even look up keywords in the text on wiki and read the first paragraphs there.
Anonymous 15 year
Robert,

Is the image posted above your image? We'd like to use it as an example in an unskew module that we plan to release.

Thanks,
STeven.
Hi STeven,

You may use the image above for your example. I also added two more sample pictures.
The unskew module sounds really exciting, thank you for the great news!

Robert

Anonymous 15 year
Robert,

Please have a look at the Bottle Unwrap module (just launched) to see if it fits your needs.

http://www.roborealm.com/help/Bottle_Unwrap.php

Let us know if you need any tweaks or if it does not perform the correct transformation that you are looking for.

This new module is in the latest version 1.8.21.1

STeven.
STeven,

thank you very much for your support!
The unwrap module works great on the curved text on our bottles.
You have been really helpful.

Robert

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index