Computer Speed Issues
SamQ from United States  [15 posts]
15 year
I purchased a notebook computer with which to use RoboRealm, MSRDS, C# Express, and a solenoid driver software/hardware combo device for a robotics project.

My concern is that the notebook is not powerful enough to handle the processing load of the above so I'm considering returning it. The RPM of the hard drive really bothers me since any hard disk access seems slow during disk intensive moments. Maybe virtual memory page swapping might become an issue?!

QUESTION: -- Will the notebook configuration be too slow RoboRealm vision processing of an LCD computer playing Pong along with all of the above?

Here are the notebook system specs:

MANUFACTURER = Hewlett Packard
MODEL= Compaq Presario CQ50 Notebook PC
PROCESSOR = AMD Turion Dual-Core RM-70 2.00 GHz
RAM = 3.00 GB
SYSTEM TYPE = 32 bit OS
GRAPHICS = NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G
OS = Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1
DRIVE = ST9200827AS Seagate 5400 RPM  200 GB Hard Drive
Anonymous 15 year
SamQ,

The specs you mention are better than anything we use here!

What are the specs for your current notebook? Sounds like you perhaps have a memory drive swapping issue. You'd probably want at least 2Gig for Vista or XP just for the OS ... its not needed for RR but if the OS is busy it will take resources away from RR.

FYI, most folks we know seem to want to stick with XP rather than Vista ... but that's a matter of choice and RR works fine on both.

Note that your camera will also be a factor in this situation depending on lighting. More light is normally better (within reason).

STeven.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index