BT-Messages to the NXT-Brick
Anonymous
17 year
I have a wish for an upcomming release of your great software:
Is it possible to add Bluetooth-Communication to the Contol module?
So it would be possible to run the main part of the software on the brick and only send control commands to the brick.
I think that programming would be much mor easier.
Greetz, Rincewind
RR On Lego NXT
Anonymous
17 year
Rincewind,

We currently do support communicating to the Lego NXT via bluetooth from RoboRealm running on a PC. We, however, cannot run RoboRealm ON the Lego NXT brick as the CPU and memory resources are not sufficient for many of the modules within RoboRealm (not to mention that the interface and image capture is windows specific).

RoboRealm is only sending motion commands back to the brick if you use bluetooth (select one of the COM ports in the Lego NXT interface) . We also support USB but that is for those cases where bluetooth is not available or the platform you have built within the Lego NXT is motionless.

Did that answer your question?

STeven.

Using BT G-Blocks
Rincewind from Germany  [4 posts]
17 year
Hi Steven,
there is a misunderstanding.
I was thinking about using the G-Blocks "send BT" and "receive BT" as a method to handle the communication between RR and the brick.
In the Moment I'm working on a control-Program for the Alpha-Rex.
I've found G-Block-Code and I am trying to rebuild it as vbs-to work with RR. (In the moment I have already 4 pages of source code ;-) )
So if I could use the two above named blocks - the vbs code has only to communicate the steering commands - and the motordriving stuff would be done by the G-Blocks
Greets, Rincewind
BT Mailbox communication.
Anonymous
17 year
Hi Rincewind,

Thanks for the clarification. That makes much more sense ...

On investigating it a little further we don't think that the communication between RR and the NXT will work with that particular G-Block ... the reason is that the Lego NXT RR Module sends direct commands to the NXT and will not send messages into a mailbox. However, we would like to work with you to see if we can make this possible.

To ensure that we're on the same page can you do us a favor and send us an example program for the NXT that you were hoping to communicate with? Also anything you've done in vbs for RR would be great too. I'm sure there is a way to do this between the robot and PC and the more info we have to test will ensure that your solution works.

Thanks,
STeven.
Direct BT-Messages to the brick
17 year
Hi STeven,
Thank you very much for your interest in my Problem!

I'm working on a project found here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~xaos69/NXT/AlphaRex_Avoid_Obstacle/AlphaRex_Avoid_Obstacle.html

I have attached my momentary version of the robo-file.
The robot is able to walk and to turn its head.
I looked into the direct-command-manual of the nxt and found a message-write-command. So I'm hoping that it will not be impossible to integrate a "message-send" - routine into your code.

I've made up a little command-vi with LabView that is working pretty fine. It sends Textmessages like "fw" etc. to a defined inbox of the brick.
The G-Block program uses the messages to stear the motors.

I've put the G-Progs on my homepage:  http://www.diewerners.de.vu/
They can be found in the section Kontor/Download a shortlink is at the frontpage.

Thanks,
Rincewind
program.robo
Lego NXT Update
Anonymous
17 year
Rincewind,

That's some very cool stuff you have going on there! Wow, didn't know you could create such complex stuff using the G-Block programming.

At any rate, thanks for the tip. We have now added in mailbox communication into the interface. Basically the mailboxes get bound to a RoboRealm variable that is then sent or received from the Lego NXT using the send and receive message GBlocks. We have uploaded the new RoboRealm version so please download RoboRealm again to see the new addition to the LegoNXT interface. We've also added a basic how to in the Lego NXT documentation page at http://www.roborealm.com/help/Lego_NXT.php

Interesting in that we were also having some issues recently with the RIS 2.0 in this same area. In RIS 2.0 they are called "variables" .. which is now switched in the NXT to be called mailboxes :-)

Let us know how it goes.

STeven.
Yatzee - it works
17 year
Hi STeven,
that is exactly the thing I had in mind!
Thank you very much!
Tomorow I will start to add vision to the NXT-G-Program.

Meanwhile I have some pics of my modified Alpha-Rex:
is the cam and the HiTecehnic-Compass.
upper construction of Gucky
CloseUp of the US-Turn mechanism
Batery-Holder for the cam

I'm waiting for some Parts I have purchased. If they arive I will build some LED Lamps because my Cam has sometimes Problems with the light.
So long Greetz, Rincewind
strange
Anonymous
17 year
Hello STeven,

Yesterday I had time to take a closer look at the new features.
And there is a strange but managable problem:
If the sent number is less than 10 the first digit is cut off.(fx. 66 is sent as 6)
If the sent number is bigger than 100 the last digit ist cut off. (fx 135 is sent as 13).
I can deal with it because for my current project I'm needing just 6 Numbers - but if it will come to send Values of variables the problem will becom serious.

I like your piece of work very much and I hope that you are not too iritated of this bugreport.
And I'm looking forward to upcomming versions!

Greetz,
Rincewind
program.robo
Lego NXT Update
Anonymous
17 year
Hi Rincewind,

Thanks  for your message. We found the error and have uploaded a fix. Please redownload RoboRealm and the full character/number should be correctly sent.

Thanks for the bug posting!

STeven.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index