Lego RCX -beginners problem
Charles Tomkins from United Kingdom  [13 posts]
17 year
Hi, I am struggling to get the RCX to display the COG-X and COG-Y variables that I have set into it using the RR lego control; the serial tower is glowing ,the RCX shows it is downloading something and I can get the RCX to sound bleeps etc. but despite a large program loop that should display as many variables as the Lego RIS allows, I have no numbers coming up on the RCX display that match with the RR Cogx and Y values.
I'm clearly missing something -do I have to write a script as well?
I am using the retail RIS software; do I have to use Robolab or BricX?
Yes I am being dim I am sure, but any help would be appreciated, Thanks.
Moving on from RIS 2.0
17 year
I've now had a go with BricX and NQC:
The BricX  'Watching the Brick' shows no changes to any of the variables after running RR with the RR Lego control.
And my NQC program (that displays the variables one after another) does not pick up any changes either.
Has anyone got the RR lego 'set variable' feature working?
RCX Variable Issue
Anonymous
17 year
Chas,

There does appear to be something wrong going on. Can you include the .robo file in another posting to help us understand how you have configured the Lego Module?

Perhaps there is something wrong with the variable you are trying to transmit. I.e. it may be empty or contain something weird.

Regardless, having the .robo file will help us debug the issue.

STeven.
Robo file
17 year
Sure, here it is.

Charles Tomkins from United Kingdom  [13 posts] 17 year
Or isnt !

program.robo
Charles Tomkins from United Kingdom  [13 posts] 17 year
STeven, I notice that the RR lego control is happily turning on the RCX motor ports , using COG X and Y , with my setup.
Thanks
Chas
RCX Fix
Anonymous
17 year
Chas,

There was indeed a problem with the set and get variable from the RCX brick. We have corrected the issue and uploaded the fix. Please download RR again and try once more.

Note that matching variables defined in the RR interface with the variables in the RCX is a little tricky. They do not use the variable name as would be expected but instead the variable index to indicate which variable they are going to get/set. So, if you use the first box in the RR interface (Variable 0) that will correlate to the first variable seen in the list within the Lego Mindstorms design interface regardless of what it is called. Typically this will be counter1. Adding in new variables in the Lego programming interface will extend that list as needed beyond the 8 spots in the RR interface. We do have access to all 32 variables but did not provide an interface beyond 8. Let us know if this is an issue for you.

Thus you have to be careful in which spot you type in your RR variable as it needs to match the same spot seen in the RCX programming interface. Using the same name in RR as in the RCX will not necessarily refer to the same variable. Its all about placement.

Let us know how it goes.

Note that we change the download url for RR so you may need to register again to get the new download link email.

STeven.
Re RCX fix
17 year
STeven,
Your update seems to have done the trick :-)  The first 8 variables in RIS2.0 are filled and interestingly it is the last 8 (24 -31) with BricX's NQC. This is perhaps exactly how it should be as it makes the RR output very easily accessible to those using RIS.

Eight variables seems more than enough to me, but I am only a dabbler with Lego,(as yet).

Thank you for fixing the problem so swiflty !

Chas

Anonymous 17 year
Chas,

You're welcome.

We did notice that the variable numbers were probably the wrong way round. We actually map the RR variables to Lego variables decreasing from 31 since it seem a better intuitive numbering based on the Lego programming environment. Otherwise you'd need to create at least 24 variables before they came into the scope of RoboRealm.

Glad we could help out!

STeven.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index