loading
 
Video format and Lynxmotion_SSC bugs in 1.8.6.14?
from United States  [214 posts]
11 years
Hello,

I upgraded to the latest version of RR (1.8.6.14) and the Video Format button is greyed out in the Options panel when I have selected my Creative Labs Live! Voice webcam, either with VFW or the DirectX driver.  The button worked fine in an earlier version (for example 1.8.6.0).  It also works fine in the latest version when I select my Logitech Quickcam 5000 instead of the Creative camera.

On another note, the Lynxmotion_SSC control module does not appear to work.  The control panel comes up and I can select the relevant serial port (COM31 using a USB to Serial converter), but none of the sliders actually move the servos (and all of the channel checkboxes are checked).  I can control my SSC-32 board fine with the Lynxterm software as well as from within a  C# program that sends commands to serial port COM31.

Thanks,
patrick


from United States  [214 posts] 11 years
P.S.  I am using the default baud rate of 115200.

Anonymous 11 years
pirobot,

Please download v 1.8.6.15 to get the fix for the Creative Camera button. Thanks for the tip on that one.

Concerning the SSC, we tested it using COM1 (we have a direct serial cable instead of the serial to usb) and it seems fine.

Can you test the connection out by going to the Serial module, setup all the correct baud, port, etc. and then type in

VER<cr>

into the Send Now text box and press Send Now. It should cause the SSC to respond with a version information that should display in the console box directly below.

Let us know if that test works. Note that the SSC and the Serial module share the same serial code but the serial module is a little easier to use in debugging issues.

STeven.
from United States  [214 posts] 11 years
Hi STeven,

Many thanks for the quick fix for the Video Format button--works great now in 1.8.6.15.

I tried the Serial module with my Lynxmotion SSC-32 and it worked!  I can even send a servo command and get the servo to move.  But when I delete the Serial Module and try the Lynxmotion SSC-32 module instead, I still do not get servo motion when I move the appropriate sliders.  Just a wild guess--is it possible that the SSC-32 module is not sending the <cr> at the end of the command?

Thanks,
patrick
Anonymous 11 years
Can you post the robofile that you had working with your SSC-32 and the serial module? We'd like to try it out ours and see what is different that would cause the SSC module not to work. I'm not sure if it is the <cr> but more thinking that a buad setting or stop bit may not being set correctly. The serial module will let us know what config you used and compare that with what the SSC module uses by default.

Thanks,

STeven.
Anonymous 11 years
Oh, and also if you could post the robofile that includes the Lynxmotion SSC module config that you are using that would be helpful too.

(you'd need to do two posts since only one robofile can be uploaded at a time)

Thanks,
STeven.
from United States  [214 posts] 11 years
Hi STeven,

Here is the Serial.robo file that I saved after configuring it so that I was able to get the VER<cr> command to work.  I looked at the file in Notepad and the values don't match the ones I set in the module!  In the module I set the parameters to be COM31, 115200, 8, none, 1.  Also the RR version is displayed as 1.8.6.14 in the head tag even though I am using 1.8.6.15.  Nonetheless, if I exist RoboRealm then load this saved Serial.robo file, all the parameters are correct.  How is that possible?

In the next message I will attach the Lynxmotion_SSC.robo file.

--patrick


program.robo
from United States  [214 posts] 11 years
Here now is my Lynxmotion_SSC.robo file, but what's this?  I just exited RR and loaded this file to see if the parameters stuck and it now works!  The sliders move the servos.  If I delete the module and start from scratch with the Lynxmotion_SSC module, again it does not work.  Save the file, delete the module, load the file (I don't even have to exit RR) and it works.  So now I'm good to go but it seems like something might need to be tweaked?

One other thing: now that I can move my servos with the sliders, I tried changing the rate values but there is no change in the servo speed even if I change the default of value of 5000 all the way down to 1000.  I tried the above trick of saving the changed module to a file, deleting the module, then re-loading it, but the rate parameters (even though saved) do not seem to have an effect.

Thanks!

--patrick


program.robo
Anonymous 11 years
patrick,

The number in the XML robo file will not match exactly to the specs. As the robofile is more of a behind the scene kind of file some of the numbers that begin with 1 in the GUI are actually 0 in the robofile ... thus some of the spec like which COM port you are using or other config will not appear to match .. they are in fact off by 1 or so.

STeven.
from United States  [214 posts] 11 years
Hi STeven,

Yeah, I thought something like that might be going on--like 0-indexed arrays instead of 1-based.  However, I don't think that explains the trouble I was having with adjusting the movement speed (the speed seems independent of the slider positions).  I won't be using the SSC-32 module directly from within RoboReam--I was just experimenting with it--so it's not a big deal for me but maybe others would be more affected.

--patrick

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

 New Post   Forum Index