Logitech Orbit MP
Dave from United States  [84 posts]
16 year
I just ran across RoboRealm after looking for about a year for something like this. I tried a few webcam programs to control the Logitech Orbit MP but they really used a lot of memory and one I couldn't get to work at all. I got RoboRealm installed and it seems to move the Orbit MP ok, execpt for the fact if you press "left" it goes to the max. left. If you click on "right" it goes to the max. right. Same with the up and down. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or not? But I'm trying to get it to "step" each time you click on a button, not go to the max. then stop.  I'm going to do some more looking around but there seems like a lot to go through.

Thanks,
Dave
Logitech Orbit MP
Dave from United States  [84 posts]
16 year
Just wanted to let you know I think I have things running now, if actually correct I'm not sure. I did change a few values in a few places from 1's or 2's to .25 which I didn't know if it would accept or not, but it seemed to work and slowed the "steps" down to shorter movememts. About the only thing I'm wondering about is the word "gui move" when you load the index.html which show right up under the buttons. Is this normal and can it be removed? Just wondering before I start messing more by working on the index.html file.

Dave
Anonymous 16 year
Dave,

Yea, you'd want to change the VBScript code to timeout much quicker than the default 1 second which might be too much depending on the speed of the quickcam. Alternatively, you could use the newer setTimedVariable to use millisecond timeouts which might be a better alternative. Thus the VBScript would look like

move = GetVariable("move")

if move then

SetTimedVariable "move", 0, 100

end if

which would set the variable "move" to 0 (i.e. stop) after 100 milliseconds. This is much simpler than the current script as it relies on RR to watch when this event should happen.

As for the "gui move" ... can you attach a screenshot? We're not seeing that text. Which browser are you using?

STeven.
Dave from United States  [84 posts] 16 year
Hi Steven!

And here I thought I was just being ignored! Hahaha...  As for RR and using VBScript's which I know nothing about, I'm pretty lost at all this and in the past few day's messing with different things I'm totally lost at even what I'm doing...... about ready to start over again.

I'm attaching a scrreen shot of the "gui move" I see on the screen. I'm using IE 6 as my browser.  You might have seen in my other post about the "error" I've been getting also, this shows up when loading the page with IE which saiy's "done but with errors". Then when you look what the error is as in my other post, what I posted is what shows up. I also get this same error when editing my webpage with FrontPage and preview it.

As for the "gui move" I did delete it when I was editing my webpage with FrontPage, but I had to be careful not to delete past the "g" in the "gui" or I'd lose all my buttons if I deleted any further.  The last time I messed with the webpage (yesterday morning) I used the original "index.html" so the "gui move" is showing on the webpage which you can see here if you wish. 141.158.183.141:8085
The only changes I made to the original "index.html" was to move everything in the middle of the page, move the buttons a little further apart, and added my stuff from my other page. Things being what they are at this point I don't know if I can delete the "gui move" or not? I don't know what effect it will have on things.

One other thing that has me confused is at the end of the VBScript, I don't understand what all the  "end if" lines mean? I see three lines of "end if". Is this the way the script ends or is this for someone to add something to the script such as "end if (then added script)"?

Sorry for all the questions..... just like a kid with a new toy trying to figure out how to work it.

No hurry on this so take your time........... just not a year. Hahaha....

Thanks,
Dave

P.S. - I hope this image posts right.......?

Anonymous 16 year
Dave,

Thanks for the link! My question is what were you having for lunch! :-)

After looking at the page it seems that something is going wrong with the serving of the page. You appear to have some non HTML noise in parts of the page including the entire robofile within the index.html page. I assume that you did not put that in there?

We cleaned things up a bit. You can grab the zipped html file from

http://www.bigfilehost.com/en/file/2470/index-zip.html

and give that one a try. That should remove the gui_move text assuming it is just in the HTML page and not a read error. If you continue to see the text let us know and we'll investigate further.

STeven.
Hi STeven!

My lunch consisted of coffee sand a smoke. LOL!!!

Well it looks like bad news on this end. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its anything you have done, but what I'm doing or trying to do. Maybe what I'll trying to do can't be done or I'm just going about it all the wrong way. You seen the page I have up and seen the "gui move" on it. Well I downloaded the zip file and messed with it but never got it running except by itself.

The noise you were talking about I seen but didn't know what it was so I didn't mess with that. The problem I'm having is every time I try to insert parts of my html from my page into the "index.html" file, a few times it caused IE to just crash, or the "UP" button was gone or it had that noise in it on the web page.
   On my last attemp just a little bit ago the only thing I done with the index.html file in the "zip" file was to center the video box and the buttons in the middle, I didn't even spread the "LEFT" and "RIGHT" buttons apart as on the webpage. After that I left it as is and just added a link under the buttons so people could get back to the home page. Well this turned into a disaster also. There was some noise to the left side of the screen where the link to the home page was centered in the middle. In othe words the link was positioned correctly but to the far left of it near the edge of the screen was about 3 or 4 weird char. Then worse part of all was I had two video boxes showing up on the webpage! Of course I'm thinking what the heck???  Both were showing video, the top box had the buttons under it while the video on the bottom didn't.
    So at this point I got to take a break away from it for a little bit.... I have so many index.html files made up trying different things I'm not sure whats what anymore.
     I don't know if I mentioned it, but the zipped index.html file didn't have the noise in it. Come to think of it, maybe the old one didn't either? The "gui move" might have shown up after I added my html to the index.html file?

As I was saying, probably the problem is what I'm doing. I'm taking the index.html file and just copying and pasting the top and bottom parts of one of my other cam pages into the index.html file.

Thanks for helping...... I might do some more messing after a few more cups of coffee and let my brain clear up some!

Dave
Hi STeven!

After doing a lot of messing, drinking a lot off coffee, and having a lot of smokes, I'm pretty sure what my problems is, just don't now how to correct it at this point. I know my webpage probably have a lot of "junk" in it and it's probably not all correct.... but it worked as it was with no problem. The problem is then adding my old HTML to the index.html supplied with RR.
   Although I got close, I didn't win the prize. So I thinking my problem is the placement of the HTML in the index page is not correct and I think some tags have to be removed or moved to a different place on the page as well as the HTML.
    For instance the <header>, <html>, and <title> tags seem to make a difference where placed., this might have been my problem from the very start when I was having trouble with the "UP" button working. Since I've been messing around a bit with this what I have found is where I place the HTML code or the tags seem to effect the buttons. As an example I was having troubles with the "RIGHT" button on my last attempt at my messing around and though I was going to get it but didn't. I either had noise in the button, the button was missing, the button was to long, and finally I got it correct but the button just didn't work. The thing that made all the changes to this one button was the following tag

<title>cam6<title>

Different way's I'd edit this one tag would completely change the way the "RIGHT" button would look, be there or not, or not work. I think when I removed the tag altogether all my buttons were missing and I think on my last attempt I removed the "cam6" and left the tag as <title><title> and had all buttons showing but the RIGHT button wouldn't work.

Of course this is all pretty much above my head and the only reason I'm posting this is incase someone else was thinking the same thing as I was, just paste their HTML code into the index.html file supplied with RR, they just may find its not that easy. It looks as the the structure of the webpage has to follow certain rules to work correctly, HTML and tags in the right place.
   I didn't give up as of yet, just slowed down some. I'll probably do some more messing with the index.html file by trying to pasting my HTML code into it and removing what I really don't need and just moving things around to see what I come up with.

Thanks again!
Dave
Hi STeven!

Just wanted to let you know I got the webpage loading without any errors showing up at the bottom of IE.  If you want to make a lier out of me you can go check at http://141.158.183.141:8085

If you go check it out would you let me know? Of course it will make a lier out of me.... it always happens. But I tried accessing it from two different computers and didn't get the error. If it does work correctly, what did I do to correct it?  Well after the other day I was pretty burned out from messing with it then just about 10 minutes I got this idea in my head and went over and deleted stuff that I really didn't need on that page and I left the "buttons" alone..... for some reason when I try moving the buttons "out" I seem to really mess thing up. So I left them as they were and only added a part of my HTML from my other page. I'm pretty sure everything is correct in my HTML.... at least more stuff then might be needed, etc,. but as long as the page loads without errors I can live with that.
    If I get a reply from you and you say that the page does load without error, I'd like to know if there is an improvement of any kind from the new index.html file you had attached to your above post compared to the old one? If there is any improvement I might see if I can get that html file working.

Thanks
Dave
Anonymous 16 year
Dave,

The page seems to work fine in both firefox and IE. Seems that you got the fix! The page we sent was kind of what you ended up doing ... i.e. remove parts you don't really need until your down to the basics. That's a good debugging skill to remember, i.e. if things do not work try to simplify it until it does work and then slowly add features/functionality until it breaks again. Then you at least know what is causing the issue and can focus on that.

Nice job! Seems like a sunny morning out by you!

STeven.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index