Camera Framerate
Loren John Presley from United States  [17 posts]
16 year
Hello, everyone.

I have a question concerning the webcam I'm using for my robot. It's a USB webcam, So-C PC camera. The webcam works, but I'm not understanding the way its performing: the framerate is often slow, but depending on where the camera is looking, it can speed up a great deal. My problem is, I want the frame rate to be fast like that all the time. The webcam imbedded in my laptop computer does not have this problem.

Does anyone know what's going on? Do I need a different kind of Webcam? Anyone have any recommendations on certain webcams? Thank you.
Anonymous 16 year
It is most likely the overall image intensity that is causing your camera to slow down. See if you notice the speed difference when you point it towards daylight versus shadows. Typically cameras require more time to integrate light when not much is available which can be the cause of your slow down. We have a couple cameras that exhibit this kind of behavior but we did not find a quick solution other than increasing light levels to compensate for this effect. Most of the more expensive ~$50 cameras do not seem to have as much of this issue.

STeven.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index