Track 5 Bots
Remo Campopiano from United States  [1 posts]
7 year
I’d like to start a thread here to get some assistance on using RoboRealm for a specific project. Here is what I’m trying to do:

We have 5, 7-foot tall, 2-wheel, self-balancing robots. They can be controlled with a smart-phone app, or from a Processing3 program we built.

The reason we are including RoboRealm technology to this mix is because the Processing3 program does not do a very good job of controlling the 5 bots in an orchestrated performance.

In other words, we need more accuracy…we need to know where each bot is at all times within 10 cm or so.

The lower part of each bot (about the size of a brick) is a different primary color, which we will use for tracking.

We are using a Foscam Fl8910W Camera, which is about 10 feet off the floor, centered above one side of the performance arena. I have successfully used the Affine module to straighten out the image to represent the performance arena. The size of the performance arena is approximately 25 feet square.

I am looking for help to best set up RoboRealm to be able to do the following.
      -    Identify the 5 bots individually by color,
      -    Report to Processing3 the each bots X & Y coordinates.

I am getting bogged down in two issues:
    1.    How do I isolate each of 5 bots by color? I can do it with one.
        I think I just don’t understand how tabs are called from the main program.
    2.    How do I get the bot ID and coordinates to Processing3?
Steven Gentner from United States  [1446 posts] 7 year
Remo,

There are a couple ways to identify objects based on color. Have a look at the second technique of

http://www.roborealm.com/tutorial/Counting_Objects/index.php

and if that doesn't help, post a sample image here so that we can better understand what you are trying to do. The basic technique is to cluster the colors to each robot, remove the rest of the background and then use something like Color Stats to collect the color and XY of each blob. You may also want to review

http://www.roborealm.com/help/Blob_Colorize.php

which can be used to transform close colors to known colors. I.e. red is never 255,0,0 in an image but might be 249, 33, 22 which is essentially red for your purposes.

The ID can be a bit tricker unless you can id each robot by its unique color. I.e. you can make the ID 'red' for the red robot.

STeven.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index