Camera Support
BE from United States  [12 posts]
7 year
I am working on applications that involve primarily processing of a single static image.  Typically, the items of interest are relatively flat, like sheets of paper, circuit boards, etc.  I am looking for a RR-compatible camera that is inexpensive with high-resolution (>=5Mpixel).  It appears that a USB document camera would suited to the task.  The one I'm considering is:

https://www.ipevo.com/prods/Ziggi-HD_Plus_USB_Document_Camera

I want to make fully automatic inspections, so capturing an image as a file using non-RR software is not an option.  I want RR to trigger image capture and then complete the image processing.  I don't understand how I can manage to control features like autofocus when this camera does not have camera-specific support in RR.

Here are my questions:

1) The RR documentation says RR works with "any USB webcam" but will it work with this camera?

2) If I want a fixed, stable camera configuration, how can I deal with autofocus, autoexposure, etc?

Steven Gentner from United States  [1446 posts] 7 year
1) We don't see any stated reason it will not work ... but it does not mention having a DirectX interface (i.e. Windows Drivers) that will permit any Windows application to use the camera. While this is normally an oversight it *might* not work with all Windows applications. We have seen some camera board manufacturers not provide generic drivers on purpose which makes interfacing with the camera difficult.

Before purchasing as if the device can be used with something like Skype that also requires the same drivers that RoboRealm uses. If the answer is yes, this should be quite a nice unit to purchase (we are considering doing so too!).

2.) Normally, webcams will expose multiple settings via the DirectInput interface which can be accessing using the Camera_Properties module:

http://www.roborealm.com/help/Camera_Properties.php

but what options are actually active will again depend on the drivers that the vendor provides since they will have had to ferry the directshow commands to their particular hardware. Normally switching off autofocus and exposure are included.

The other possibility is that using their own software one can turn these options off and if you are lucky they will remain off when accessing via DirectInput. Sometimes this works but often DirectInput will reset all the settings which is why the Camera_Properties module was created .. to ensure a known state if the machine/camera power cycles.

So in a nutshell, it seems like this will work but you never know 100% until trying it.

STeven.
BE from United States  [12 posts] 7 year
I found this additional information on the IPEVO website.  Does this clarify whether the camera will work with RR?

https://ipevoinc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/210219177-I-d-like-to-integrate-Ziggi-HD-Plus-into-my-software-system-how-do-I-start-

Steven Gentner from United States  [1446 posts] 7 year
Its tough to know without spending several hours deciphering the code to see if it will work. If you are willing to pay for that, its something we can do. But you will probably find it cheaper to query the vendor and see if other applications like Skype would work with their hardware. Skype will use the same drivers RR does so that is normally a good test. You can also point them to our side for them to download a trial version and test.

Otherwise, it will be very expensive to verify if this actually works.

STeven.
I have purchased one of these document cameras - I will let you know if it works.
I received my IPEVO camera and it works fine with RR.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index