DLL & OCR
MaizeBlueGold  [4 posts]
8 year
Hi, we bought a RR Personal software on October 29, 2012. We're not sure how much have been improved over the years. May consider upgrading software.

Is there a way to efficiently convert sequence of RR modules into C++ functions to generate DLL, which will be used by applications such as LabVIEW? Are there tutorials or documentations to achieve quick conversion, get list of RR C++ functions & generate DLL? Are all the sample codes only found in API.zip or Plugins.zip? Once DLL is generated, will RR need to be installed for DLL to be used, OR DLL only needs to be placed in application folder to work?

Also, how accurate are the RR OCR module detections as compared to those of Tesseract? Can RR module work with Tesseract? If yes, how? Some say Tesseract lacks accuracy. Are there better solutions that can integrate with RR? Thanks for your time.
Steven Gentner from United States  [1446 posts] 8 year
Maize,

RoboRealm doesn't have a 'produce c/c++ code ability' but does have many other ways to interact with the system from your own code. You mentioned a couple which are probably just confusing at this point. Based on the way you asked about the question what I would recommend is to use the RoboRealm.dll directly (i.e. ignore the network API, plugins, etc). What this means is that you access the RoboRealm.dll in your own application and send it the sequence of modules to run (using the execute method) as if you were calling the C++ functions directly. Think of the XML robofile as a configuration file as to which C++ functions to call. (i.e. a mini-script).

If you have not already noticed, the .robo files that the GUI app saves are just text XML strings that would be used in the execute call.

The RoboRealm.dll, RoboRealm.lib and RoboRealm.h files are allready in the installation folder so should you be using C/C++ you can include those directly in your app. For an example download the Test DLL solution at

http://www.roborealm.com/help/DLL.php

which will show you a couple ways to interact with the RoboRealm.dll file.

Once you install your app, you will need to include a licensed RoboRealm.dll for each installation. The RoboRealm.dll file will perform similar license checks that the GUI does. There are ways to send it this required info from your own application should you want to hide RoboRealm completely from the end users knowledge. Please contact us directly using the site's contact form so we get your email address.

I'm not sure how the OCR module stacks up with Tesseract. From my understanding its meant for document scanning so it probably performs better on large volumes of text. In our case, the OCR module was built to extract text out from a noisy crowded image (such as a road sign) which Tesseract probably would not work very well with ... but I've not tested that so don't take my word for it.

What I can say is that any OCR solution that you find doesn't work with the current OCR module can be addressed. As we support our product, we will improve modules at no cost to you based on reasonable usage (i.e. if you have a very weird usage of a module that is specific just to you, we'll charge for that). The OCR module did undergo such a revamp recently due to customer requests ... I'm sure there will be many more!

STeven.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index