Output C/C++
Grant Samms from United States  [2 posts]
10 year
Hello,

So, first off, I am new to the world of CV and coding. I am a biology student working on a senior thesis that requires CV. I am also learning C++ (Brave new world). I tell you this so that you have background on my programming knowledge, which is scant to say the least.

I would like to take the CV routine that I have developed in the RoboRealm pipeline and write it as a C/C++ file. From there I am going to write code for some of the other features on my robot. The robot will have on-board computing, but not enough to run an application like RoboRealm.

Effectively I want to use the algorithm developed in RoboRealm (written as an external C/C++ file) and embed it in a series of if/then C++ code.

Is it possible to write an external C/C++ file from the routine that I develop in RoboRealm? And if so, how?

Thank you,
~~Grant
Steven Gentner from United States  [1446 posts] 10 year
Grant,

It is possible but only with a lot of work. RoboRealm is deceptively simple in that it hides a lot of what is going on in the background to make things easier to work with. This is sometimes a good thing, and sometimes a bad thing.

If you want to take what you have in RR and translate it into something else I'd start reviewing all possible other libraries that you could use to help you get a head start:

http://www.roborealm.com/links/vision_software.php

Most end up with OpenCV but that's not recommended for the beginner programmer so give yourself sufficient time to get up to speed.

The other possibility is to use a wireless camera connected from your robot back to a PC that is running RR. That reduces the power requirements on the robot and allows you as much computing power as you need ... but this depends on the requirements of your project which we are obviously not aware of.

Unfortunately there isn't an Export RoboFile to C/C++ functionality within RR. While there is a RR DLL that works on Windows I sounds like you will be working with an embedded Linux system which the DLL would not work on. You are looking to rewrite whatever you have in an embedded sense.

STeven.
Grant Samms from United States  [2 posts] 10 year
So can the results be output as a C++ file? In other words, can I have RR process and image and then input the results into a C++ script?
Steven Gentner from United States  [1446 posts] 10 year
Grant,

Just to clarify:

1. Automatically create a source C/C++ file that executes the same process as a RoboRealm pipeline => No

2. Grab the results of a pipeline process from RoboRealm into a C/C++ program ==> Yes, see http://www.roborealm.com/help/API.php and the C/C++ examples.

Note that the API can be used to configure/manage just about everything withing RoboRealm which can be thought of as an image processing server.

STeven.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index