My Logitech Sphere AF freezes when pan buttons clicked
NairB from United Kingdom  [41 posts]
16 year
Please help.

After following your tutorial about remotely controlling my Sphere AF via the internet, when I click any of the pan/tilt buttons, the browser freezes.

I am using AF drivers 11.5.0.1145

Roborealm version 1.8.12.4

Firefox 2.0.0.14

I can see & move the cam OK from the RR GUI and I can also see when I open http://localhost:8080/index.html but the browser freezes when I click any of the pan/tilt buttons below the picture.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks peeps,

NairB
Anonymous 16 year
NairB,

Does RoboRealm also freeze when this happens?

We test this scenario in Firefox and it works well for us under the default index.html. Did you make any changes to the index.html file? Have you tried in IE to see if there is a difference? That would help explain if it is a problem in the browser or in RoboRealm.

STeven.
NairB from United Kingdom  [41 posts] 16 year
STeven,

Thanks for your reply. This is a very strange problem. I have it on two PC's and to get it to work using the default index.html file (unchanged) I click "options" and "OK" then refresh my firefox or IE7 browser several times until it works.

Very strange indeed. I have folk say to me that it freezes their browsers to. It is working at the momemt but if I were to close RR and open it again, I would need to go through the same procedure........RR "options" then click "OK" button to unfreeze the browser then "refresh" the browser several times before it works.

Here is the link where I have it http://nairb1.camstreams.com/

Incidently, it happens on the index.html file within the RR folder, so its not the webpage I have it on thats causing it.

The webcam is brand new and here is the USB/vid info....

USB\VID_046D&PID_0994&MI_00\6&39ECDF8D&0&0000

-NairB
Anonymous 16 year
NairB,

The link that you provided does have a streaming video on it but nothing with pan & tilt buttons on it. Was that the correct link? We'd like to see if we can duplicate the problem you are having from our side.

When you say click "options button" and "ok" I assume that means you are not selecting anything else in the interface like the video camera dropdown. Literally you are just opening that dialog and then clicking ok? If this is the case can you shutdown RR, start it up again and then JUST refresh the browser to see if that starts up. We suspect that opening the options dialog and pressing ok should not have any effect on this issue.

Unfortunately the HTML page that sends the pan & tilt back is quite simple and we're not sure what in it would cause the browser to hang. And when you say "hang" do you mean that the browser stops responding to any clicks whatsoever, i.e. if you press the back button or navigate to another website does that still work?

Thanks,
STeven.

Hi STeven,

Oops, I gave you the link I want the cam to be displayed sorry....here is the actual index.html link....

http://82.11.154.234:8080/index.html

Hope you can figure it out. Incidently, it seems to work for a time then I have to do the "options" click "OK" button then "refresh" browser method to activate it again....strange!!!

-NairB
STeven,

I changed my port address from 8080 to 1760 to check if there is a port conflict....made no difference.

Please use this link now http://82.11.154.234:1760/index.html

Sorry to mess you about.

thanks again

NairB
STeven,

Yes, the browsers both firefox & IE7 both freeze completely. They UNfreeze when I simply open RR "options" and simply click the RR "OK" button then I can "refresh" the browser and it works.....thats it.

Again the link to use is http://82.11.154.234:1760/index.html

Brian
Anonymous 16 year
NairB,

Can you check to see how many webserver threads you have enabled? That is specified in the Threads dropdown in the Options->Web Server tab. If you set the thread count to 1 you will get the symptoms that you are describing. In your case you probably want that number to be 50 or 100 to avoid these errors.

The "thread" count specifies how many connections RoboRealm will accept. Once that threshold is reached it simply blocks calls and will cause things like browsers to lock. When you select the OK button in the past that causes a reset of the webserver which would cancel all current connections and allow everything to flow again ... that's probably why you found that pressing the OK button caused things to get started again.

If this is indeed the case we will see how to better manage this situation or at least provide better alerts towards it.

STeven.
Whoopee....JACKPOT.....well done STeven,

That seems to have solved the problem after I set the threads to 100 :)

I can now use the pan/tilt immediately as it loads on both localhost & IP without any freezing.

The cam picture also displays alot quicker, almost as browser loads.

I will now put it out on my website for peeps to try and will let you know how it goes.

thanks again STeven.

NairB
Dave from United States  [84 posts] 16 year
Hi NairB,

I seen on your website you made some changes to the buttons by adding a "center" button.  I messed with these buttons in the past and every time I did I ran into troubles. I'n my case I was just moving them further apart, not adding any. I seemed to even have had a problem using the original index.html file and not adding anything else to the page. I don't know what my problem was but I soon learned out to let the buttons as they were.
  I was at your website and things seemed to be moving rater slow, like 15 seconds for the camera to move after clicking on a button. Of cousre things are going to be faster on your end then mine, also I don't know what kind of internet connection you have, if its dial up, DSL or cable. I would be interest though in seeing the same page with the original index.html without the added "center" buttons, or any other alterations to the page to see how it compares to the index.html file you are using now.

You can check out my two cams at:

http://209.158.255.197:8085

and

http://209.158.255.197:8095

Another note: I;m using two Orbit MP cameras and not the newer AF cameras.

Dave
Thanks Dave for that advice.

I have put the index file back to the original to see how the cam responds.

Incidently, my internet connection slowed down considerably as I already have a webcam (pro4000) streaming.

So I have the orbit cam streaming from my other notebook PC and will try and keep it up and running when I am not using my notebook etc for RR to test.

http://82.11.154.234:1760/index.html

Thanks again for your advice Dave.
Hi NairB,

Yep, I gave it a try using the original "index.html" file and the speed it takes from the time you pressed the button until the cam moves did speed up quite a bit from what I remember from what it was before, about 5 seconds now. Also the cam seems to be moving in all directions ok.

Dave
Anonymous 16 year
Dave & Brian,

Just a quick note to mention that we recommend downloading the latest version  1.8.13.0 as it has many webserver improvements with regards to the streaming. We fixed the threadding issue to better report when it is maxed and also optimized the frame sending for many connected viewers. Also improved the Java applet to reconnect much more consistently even when connections fail. So the new version is definately worth installing.

Also, one idea we've been thinking about but can't seem to get around to doing is combining the webcam streaming with the 3d Viewer module

http://www.roborealm.com/help/3D_Viewer.php

and stream out the red/green version using two adjacent cameras (aka stereo) so that people could see a 3d version of the remote space. Not sure that it would be a first but I've not seen too many 3d streaming cams out there!

Either of you have more than one camera to try this out? :-)

STeven.
Excellent STeven, I am downloading the new software as I speak and will let you know how it goes.

Wow, that 3D idea is very very interesting. I also have the new 2 megapixel Logitech Pro for Notebooks cam so I will figure out how to test the 3D viewer using both Logitech's latest 2 megapixel cams if you like.

This is fun, thanks again STeven & your developement team for all your help :)
STeven.

I am using RR version  1.8.13.1 and find it less responsive....I think I know why.

I notice that after changing the frame rate down to 5 fps in RR "video format" the actual fps does not stay at 5 like the previous software version but instead increases when you look at the bottom left of the browser. Whereas the RR application indicates 5 fps.

So it looks like when I lower the fps to 5 like I did previously has no effect hence making comms "sticky" as its streaming now at a higher fps.

-NairB
UPDATE STeven,

The new software version  1.8.13.1 has a new bug, my cam will not pan fully to the right after a certain amount of time.

I have resorted to using the previous version until you can debug.

-NairB
Hi NairB,

I'm using the older model of the Orbit and mine seems to be panning ok so far. How far to the right does your cam pan? Did you try clicking on the (red) home button when you open the Logitec_Orbit edit? I don't know how far your cam is panning, but if its "close" to the end of the pan, it might just need "centered" again. I think, not sure, that after time from the movement of the cam it gets off where center was, and it won't pan as far as it should. On the other hand if its way off, it might be another problem. I did see the problem of the fps not being as set. I have mine set to 10 fps, but when I connect to the cam its running about 20 fps.

Dave
hi dave,

My cams pan is working fine now....I rebooted my PC and since then its pan is now fine so ignore my last post regarding this.

Yes the fps feature is needing fixed on the latest software....have you noticed a difference in response compared with the previous software version Dave?

If so do you reckon its the higher fps causing a certain amount of "sluggishness"

NairB
Anonymous 16 year
Yes, the applet was reporting twice the fps that it was actually using. This has been fixed.

We also added a FPS on the webserver options to lower the streaming fps but keeping the RR fps up. The reason this is useful is that RR needs to continue to process for any movement requests at the highest speed to avoid any lagging. When you set RR to run at 5fps it will not immediately respond to the movement requests and will also over shoot the camera movement. So with RR operating at full speed and the webserver serving at a slower speed you get the best of both worlds.

Also note that we added a "Quality" control in the webserver. Be sure to set that to Average or Good which will REALLY lower the bandwidth usage. Right now the version you have is at Best. At Best our frame sizes ranged from 50-70K, at Average they get down to about 3-5K. A significant reduction and not too bad an image. That should allow you to increase the webserver framerate a bit while still lowering the bandwidth requirements by a bit.

Version 1.8.13.2 has these changes.

Enjoy!
STeven.
You guys are amazing STeven....I can't believe how quick you fix the bugs....do you not get any sleep LOL.

Thanks again :)

=NairB
STeven & NairB

It seems I ran into a problem with the latest verson of RoboRealm crashing, and I'm also very confused with what is going on with all the framerate adjustments in RoboRealm, which is what I think caused the crash. The latest version was running until I started trying to get a study 10 fps going.

Ok, this is what is confusing me. When starting RoboRealm, (this is on an older version I'm looking at) you can go to the TAB, OTHER and adjust the PREVIEW fps, and PROCESSING fps. I'm not sure where or what tab the FPS & QUALITY  settings is on the new verson, but how many adjustments for the FPS does that make?

Now when you go to OPTIONS tab under the VIDEO FORMAT button, you can again adjust the FPS. So this makes 3 or 4 adjustments on the FPS?

On the latest version I couldn't get a constant 10 fps, although I had it set at 10 fps, I was only showing and sending about 6.5 fps. This is when I started messing with all the FPS settings and the program crashed. After it crashed it never did start again, just a constant crash on start up.

With all these FPS settings I don't have a clue to what is controlling all the FPS, for both the preview and the FPS sending over the network, nor do I know which one I adjusted that caused the crash.

Thanks,
Dave
STeven & Dave,

I am also crashing after trying to adjust the fps in the webserver option.

@Dave, the idea is to have the fps at max (30) in the "Video Format" option - that helps RR run more efficiently.

In the "webserver" option you can adjust the max fps the viewer will see and also the bandwidth eg good, bad, average etc.

But after trying to adjust my "max fps" and clicking "OK" it crashes also :(

I'm sure STeven will have a fix :)

-NairB
STeven,

Even without the webcam connected, it crashes.

I checked the error log windows generated and it points to the FreeImage.dll if this is relevant.

-NairB
Hi NairB,

I'm sure we all have reason's why we have the settings "set" as we do. In your case, that may be true having the setting set at 30 fps?  In my case, I'm trying to cut back on the CPU useage, 30 fps = 35% CPU useage vs 10 fps = 10% CPU useage. If I was running nothing other the RoboRealm on the system, this wouldn't be a problem maybe, but being at least 3 to 4 other programs running I like to keep the CPU useage as low as possible.

There is also the fact id your streaming over the web, I don't know what speed your connection is but can you actually send 10 fps over the web? Maybe with a DSL or Cable connection, but not with a dial-up connection. I'm no expert by a long shot, but I don't know if a person can actually send a constant 10 fps over the web? Maybe even less if you are web surfing, uploading, etc?

In my opinion (which doesn't account for much) I just can't see any use pusing something more then what is needed? Just like a car, you can go 120 MPH, but what for if you don't have an emergency?

So, for you maybe the 30 fps works ok, or you need the 30 fps? On this one system its running an old (8 or 9 years old) Intel 2 Ghz CPU with only 512 MB of memory. and RoboRealm uses more CPU then on the newer computer. 10% CPU on the older, an 2-3% CPU on the newer. So in my situation I'm trying to get a good fps with low CPU usage.

I'm sure if you were using RoboRealm for tracking or other image processing, you would want the fastest fps you could get, but to send images over the web?

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one with the latest version of RoboRealm crashing. I was thinking it was just on my system. I'm sure STeven will get on it after he gets some sleep. I'm hoping STeven is taking a vacation this summer, you know what thay say, "All work and no play makes STeven a dull boy!"  ;-)
Anonymous 16 year
Ha,ha ... yes when we're focused around a particular topic we can get things out quite quickly ... but sometimes too quickly!

The webserver FPS setting bug has been fixed in 1.8.13.3.

Let me see if I can add some clarity to all these FPS settings.

1. Options Button -> Video Tab -> Video Format - this interface actually comes directly from the camera driver. If you reduce the FPS here this will help the camera reduce the amount of data flowing over the USB bus ... thus if you only have USB1.0 or are running at lot of other USB devices decreasing this will help increase the delivery speed of the other devices (not unlike an ethernet network). This will affect streaming and CPU speed since it will restrict the number of frames your system gets right from the start. BUT it will decrease the processing speed of RoboRealm to the specified framerate. Thus if you don't worry about the processing speed this is the single best way to reduce bandwidth, CPU and USB bus speeds.

2. Options Button->Other->Preview & Processing speed - this will restrict RoboRealm from either showing the preview of the USB cam quickly. This is designed for those running RoboRealm over a remote desktop type scenario where them simply viewing the preview image will slow the system due to bandwidth issues.  This allows the system to run at full speed but only show what's going on once in a while. (Useful when your PC is on your robot connected over a wireless network).

The Processing speed option allows you to reduce the processing rate of RoboRealm (this also decreases the preview speed) such that your CPU utilization will be reduced. This is essentially what Dave is looking for. The reason this setting is here in addition to what you can do with the fps setting above in the video driver is that you can switch between cameras and still have RoboRealm only use a certain amount of CPU power. The video rate setting in the camera is also optional in that some camera's just do not have that ability ... thus having a centralized way to do it in RoboRealm is nice.

As a side note there are also modules that will regulate the FPS settings to ... for example, any of the IP camera modules typically have this built in too. Not to mention the usage of the Timer module which will also decrease the processing rate of RoboRealm but for only part of the pipeline.

3. Options Button->Webserver->FPS setting - the final one allows just the streaming of data out using the webserver. This simply allows you to reduce streaming bandwidth while keeping the processing as fast as possible in case you're using some of the other features of RoboRealm to produce the stream.

Note that these above are ordered in succession meaning that if #1 is changed to a lower FPS then #2 and #3 are also affected, i.e. your processing is lowered and your webserver is slower. So Dave has the right approach. For Brain, #3 is where the options probably make sense. Either way you can chose what combination is best for you ... what is interesting is that the goal is webserver image streaming but both of you have such different requirements in terms of the day to day operation of the streaming platform.

The good thing about having so many features is that they allow for such flexibility, the bad thing about having so many features is that they allow for such flexibility!

Hopefully this sheds some light onto the multiple FPS settings.
STeven.
Thanks STeven!

Everything thus far seems to be working ok, no crashing and the FPS seem to be working fine. Also thanks for explaining how the FPS work in different way's in RoboRealm, I actually learned something new today on how the FPS are actually being used and the way the different setting are used through RoboRealm, USB port, Network, etc. When I see the FPS, thats all I see and know what it means. I didn't know that these setting effected so many differnt things in different way's. Thanks for the info on this, this can come in very handy I would expect for a lot of dummies like me!

Dave
I like Dave is delighted with the latest version.....no problems from what I can see.

I have also learned from your instruction and like you Dave I prefer the lower frame rates to save bandwidth etc but I do have the capability to run at "Best" if I choose.

@Dave - I have been messing around and found that if you lower the fps in "video format" you can actually make the picture quality smoother or sharper but like  STeven said....you then change the Pan & Tilt comms. I guess its the best comprimise for your PC and Internet connection.

Thankyou so much STeven to you and your team for all the effort

Now Dave & myself, with different PC configurations, can choose our own settings that will work best.....brilliant!!!!

Thanks Dave for your help too mate :)

Hey STeven......are you a robot by any chance teeheehee :)

-NairB
Oh Dave,

Try putting a "center" button on your page like I have done....see my page to copy the source code.

Seems to be running like a dream. Give it a try to see how you get on ;)

Hi STeven & NairB

It looks as though I'm still having some issues here on the one computer with the latest version of RoboRealm. When I connect to RoboRealm over my network, I would always get a strong 10.00 fps to the other computer viewing the video, with very little variation like 9.9 to 10.1 fps. With the new version I can't get much above 5 fps? I tried a number of times changing the values to higher values in different boxes but can't get much above the 5 fps. When I first connect it might be as low as 3.5 fps, then stay arouund 5 fps, though at times it does go up but never reaching 10 fps and dropping back down to 5 or 6 fps.

In messing around with the from fps buttons I had them tured off "0" and set as high as 30 fps, still low frame rates.

NairB, I don't know what kind of internet connection you have but it really seems slow on this end? When your page loads its showing 0.0 fps, then after about 10 seconds it did jump up to .47 fps @ 28.6 Kbs. All the buttons seemed to work ok. Don't take this as a criticism, I'm mentioning this in case there is a problem you don't know of?  So at .47 is about a 1/2 frame a second.

Thats why I myself try to aim at 10 fps, it gives you fairly fast images without to much overloading, dropping down to 5 fps makes the video to "jerky" (stop and go) for me. As soon as I figure out what I'm going to do here I just might steal your index.html file! :-)

Dave

Dave,

My frame rate as I look at it via the internet is fairly stable at 4.7 to 5 fps and bandwidth is saying 314 to 350 Kps.

My pan & tilt comms are working quite fast as well.

I am checking all this via the internet and my firefox browser displays the above information.

I have just checked your cam and see your fps & bandwidth is very low!!!

I have never seen your cam display a fps of 10 Dave even before you using this new software version.

Is it possible you have an internet issue. To check if thats the case, go back and use the older software and when you do let me know and I will see if your fps has improved or not. If not then your ISP/network connection might have issues.

-NairB
Dave,

I just checked your other cam in your kitchen http://209.158.255.197:8085/

The fps is 0.56 and bandwidth is 36.28Kps. Are you using the older software with this cam??

-NairB
Hi NairB

Yes, thats pretty slow, much slower then I expected. I was expecting 1 to 3 fps. On my side through my network its show 10fps @ 710kbps  I called my daughter up on the other side of town and she reported the same bad news, 0.0 fps.

As for internet connection, I never had any troubles and have a connection of 3360 / 864 (Down/Up). And yes you were connected to the older version of RoboRealm.

I was wondering how you are connecting to yours through the web unless you are connecting from a different location? I can only access mine through typing in the address of the computer and port number from another computer, other wise I can't access it from the web.

Thanks,
Dave
NairB,

I checked your cam again and on my end I'm getting one frame every two seconds.

Dave
hi Dave,

It seems your daughter has confirmed what I see at my end looking at your cam.....not only is your fps lower at my end but your lassie can see the same thing at her end. Also, your viewing of my cam seems to be restricted.

Can you ask your daughter to check my cam and ask her what the fps & bandwidth is.....if she sees 4.7/5.0 fps and bandwidth is 330Kps then its your setup Dave.

She will think to herself that her dad and that geezer NairB are off there heads ahahahaha.

Tell your daughter its all in the name of science LOL.

-NairB

Hi NairB,

I was thinking the same thing, getting a third party to check. Well I hate to break the news to you, but its the same as mine, 0.0 fps. Also keep in mind she is on a different internet service then me, I use DSL and she has cable.

As much as I hate to say this, I'm wondering if RoboRealm has a problem with its server? Not that I know anything about it and I'm not saying that it does, I'm just wondering being its serving frames at such a low rate over the web, yet with a direct connection from computer to computer through the network your getting the full fps you have it set at. So this just makes me wonder why RoboRealm is serving images so fast over the net work, and so slow over the internet? Of course I know over the network (computer to computer) its going to be faster.

I hate to be the one to bust your bubble NairB, but your not doing any better in fps then me. Bummer. Maybe STeven can look into this when he gets the time?

Dave
Dave,

Interesting. I am checking this via the internet and not say "localhost" or from within the same computer network.

I am going out into the network using this address http://82.11.154.234:1760/index.html which obviously means I am out there in the world wide web before I see the cam in my browser with the higher fps.

I notice that depending on your internet connection speed, the browser may take a wee while to truelly display the actual fps......can you ask your daughter again to wait a minute or so as she will initially see 0.0 but increases to its true value after a short minute.

-NairB.......(tell her her cheque is in the post from Scotland lol)
Anonymous 16 year
Hi All,

Before checking the network ensure that RoboRealm is in fact getting more than 5 fps when running no modules. Many cameras will REALLY reduce their frame rate when in low light ...

If you find that the camera is producing fast enough frames then you can check out the network issues. Note that both of you are on opposite sides of the
"pond" and we're very familiar with the low bandwidth that is experienced when transferring data across the Atlantic. Here in the US it gets a little better really late at night (i.e. 2am to 4am). Dave, we'll check out your camera tomorrow (its quite dark right now) to see if we get better bandwidth as we're at least in the same continent and should get a decent frame rate.

We'll also check around a bit to see if we can find something that would explain this behavior ...

Now to go and power down :-)
STeven.
Hi STeven

Sorry about the (No Title) post, guess I was still alseep when I posted that this morning. I was at NaiB's cam again just a little bit ago and tried something different. I connected to his cam with one computer and then connected to it through another computer. The fps on both computers were cut in half to about 1 frame every 4 seconds. This varied from 5 to 10 seconds between each image, but seemed to settle down to about 1 frame every 4 seconds after awhile. It almost seems as though things are getting "bottle necked" somewhere and with each connection the fps is cut in half, else the server just can't keep up? But on the other hand if I connect through my computer to the other computer through the computers IP address it put out almost 30 fps if I set it to that. This is what confuses me, why does it run wide open going through the router to the other computer, yet slow down so much when connecting over the internet?

Being I can't connect to my own webcam over the internet, it makes it hard for a person to see what others see actually see. So all this time I didn't know it was serving images as such a slow rate. If I remember correctly, when I first downloaded RoboRealm and got it running I had my daughter connect to let me know how "jerky" or delay in each frame was. At that time she said it wasn't bad that the images were changing rather quickly, if I'm correct on this.
   I'm going to look and see if I can dig out one of the first version I downloaded back then and get it up and runing to comapre to see if these is any "real" difference or not.

Dave
Steve Joblin from United States  [18 posts] 16 year
I have downloaded the latest version (1.8.13.3), and now I can't access roborealm remotely... it looks good in Roborealm and good in http://localhost:8080/index.html, but I get a "web page can not be displayed" page when I try to access it from another computer over the internet... any ideas?
I take it RoboRealm is working on port 8080 and that port is open? Check your ports and be sure RoboRealm is configured on port 8080.  If you are trying to access it from another place other then at home you will have to type in your IP address such as http://209.158.255.197:8080 (use your IP address)  If you sre trying to access it from another computer "at home", you will have to maybe type in the computer that is running RoboRealm's IP address which would look something like this http://192.168.1.41:8080  Also if you are on a network of more then one computer at home you will probably have to be sure you are using "Portforward", which directs the incomming connection to the computer RoboRealm is on, in other words, it has to be sent to the computer RoboRealm is running on. on port 8080.

Hope this helps and didn't confuse you.

Dave
Dave,

I have increased ALL fps to 30 on RR. The actual webcam fps is more around 17 to 25 fps approx....

What can you see at your end?

I also lowered the bandwidthe to "good" aroung 150Kps

The picture is very dark but dont worry about that, I am just curious to see if you can see 17 to 25 fps.

-NairB
Hi NairB!

I think your on to something here. I connected twice and the first time the cam was moving and it was putting out 5 fps the dropped down to about 2.5 fps, then varied between these number.

I then connected a seconed time and it was running around 3 fps and jumped as high as 6 fps! Thats good! My question now is when you open task manage, how much percent of the CPU is RoboRealm using?

I told STeven when I first started using RoboRealm I thought the video was much faster and this might be the reason it was. Back then I was running RoboRealm as it is when started with the webcam running at 30 fps, but I don't remember what I had the other setting set at. The 30 fps was set on the tab "VIDEO" then "VIDEO FORMAT". So yes, this is no doubt why I seen a higher fps with the older version. Way to go NairB! I'm sure STeven will be happy not have to tear his hair out going over his code!

Thanks for the update, looks really good! Now I'm going to have to decide which way to go here, higher fps and more CPU usage or lower fps and less CPU usage. Hopefully I can find a "sweet" spot for both?

Thanks!
Dave
Dave,

Did you just try my cam at 23:25 PM

I noticed something unbelievable....as you moved it my fps and bandwidth dropped to below 5 fps and the bandwidth dropped to 30Kps

Then shot way back up to 17 to 25 fps & 150Kps when you left my cam page.

It was like you sucked all the frames & bandwidth out my cam LOL

-NairB
Hahaha..... I don't know if it was me or not, it was just about 10 minutes ago and its 6:37 p.m. here. Yes, when a connection is made fps may go down. Also if you open task manager when RoboRealm is running and someone connects you will see CPU usage go up. That's why (myself) try to use as little CPU usage as possible. Any other thing running on your computer will effect the way RoboRealm peforms. This is not a fault of the program, its just the fact the CPU usage has to be used on more things running and spit its time up with everthing running. I have a bad habit of checking with task manage to see whats using the most CPU usage as well as memory, the lower I can get these the better everything will preform.

Dave
NairB,

I was just at your webcam again and you were sending a stron 6+ fps. Very good!  I see you have your cam pointing out the window but if you haven't thought about it, be sure to know where the Sun comes up and down. There are a lot of ignorent people out there and if the Sun is in the path of your window, they may point it at the Sun ruining your cam. It probably wouldn't take to long for the Sun blazing into the lens of the cam before it did some real damage or ruined it all together. You just can't trust anybody. There are some good people out there and there are 3 jerks for every good person. Just thought I'd mention it in case you didn't think about it.

Dave
Thanks for the heads up on that Dave...I didn't realise that about the sun. I  have moved the cam out of the suns path now....restricts some viewing but better that than a dead cam.

Oh I put all the RR back to 5 fps again incase you ask.

Anonymous 16 year
NairB,

I realize that you are using RoboRealm mainly for a web broadcasting tool but the issue you mention should be solvable by RoboRealm's machine vision capabilities. It should be possible to 'detect' an image that has too high intensity on it and then programmatically move the camera away before burn in sets in.

Can you perhaps include an image of what the camera sees when it is looking at the sun? I assume the camera does not go back immediately when looking at the sun but only after a period of time.

STeven.
Hi STeven,

The greatest danger from direct sunlight comes from the right, over the church you see between the hours of 04:45am & 09:00am.

The same from the other direction in the other direction but I have moved the cam over so the cam is safe from the setting sun.

In the meantime, I have added some javascript that when a viewer clicks the "right" button and the camera moves in that direction, it also lowers the cam also so that it will not look at the sunlight.....click the "Right" button and see this.

NairB

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index