Receiving data from LEDs
Paul from United States  [1 posts]
7 year
Just trying out RR, and I have a newbie question. With swarm robots, people often blink LEDs on top of the robots to send data to an overhead camera. I am looking for the easiest way to do this with RR. The data rate is very slow (but not synced), so I will have multiple frames per bit time. It would be great if there was some protocol RR understood to read the data, but in any case, I'm happy to write code to decode the streams. I would just need RR to hand me the locations of each blob in each frame, preferably with a time stamp, in a way that I can get to the data and decode it. I figured this must have come up before, but I couldn't find anything in the forums that addressed this. Any pointers would be appreciated!
Steven Gentner from United States  [273 posts] 7 year
Paul,

You should start by getting a couple of those images and start playing around with extracting out the leds. If you can recommend, have the robots have more than one led since a pattern is easier to extract than led timing. It will be quicker too.

We don't have such a protocol since everyone does this differently and no "visual communication protocol" using leds exists at least to our knowledge.

Be sure to take images with very short exposure which should make most of the image black but the leds should still be evident. The most common mistake is for folks to take images as if they are going to be consumed by humans as apposed to an LED detection system.

Search the forum for requests around laser tracking since that's a very similar technique.

STeven.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index