Distance and Angle Measurements
Larry Mackey from United States  [1 posts]
8 year
We are trying to figure out the best way to measure the distance from the camera to the object being inspected, as well as the pan & tilt angle of the camera.

It would also be nice if we could provide measurements of objects (blobs, etc.) on the plate being inspected.

If we mount

Pan/Tilt Angles
If we mount a laser pointing at the plate being inspected that is on the camera mount but does not move with camera pan/tilt, then I could count pixels and measure relative pan/tilt angles as long as spot is in field of view of camera image?
Steven Gentner from United States  [1446 posts] 8 year
Larry,

In order to measure distance from the camera you would either need to know the physical object size (so that you can compare that with the pixel size and determine distance) or you would need a 3D sensor of some sort (i.e. two cameas, Kinect, Senz3D, etc.).

Thus if you know the distance to the platform that the plates are sitting on and the plates are relatively flat (i.e. do not have much 3D depth) then you can translate pixel size to actual size.

For the laser, you would need two spots. You can count the pixels between the two spots to determine distance to the platform.

Or you can also just include some known object (like a Fiducial) that is present on the platform that would tell you distance and angle information about the camera relative to the surface.

http://www.roborealm.com/help/Fiducial.php

Not sure if that's possible or not. Perhaps the platform itself could be used as a fiducial ... not sure. If you are exploring options and run into issues, post those images here so that we can better understand what you are working with.

Cheers,
STeven.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index