Sensor stream/ Compass into RR
Dave from United States  [8 posts]
8 year
EZ=Robot does a nice job of importing the sensor stream compass data which seems to be a very smooth and stable heading from the iphone.  I can import from EZ into RR but it seems kind of clunky and hard (for me) to set up reliably.

Is there a direct way of getting this data into RR....or another compass module that feeds RR directly that gives such a nice smooth output like sensor stream?

This is the last piece of data I need to start putting my interactive bot together.  Good heading data is imperative for what I want to achieve.

Any suggestions??
Steven Gentner from United States  [1446 posts] 8 year
Dave,

That's a good idea. The iPhone (and Android systems too) do have good sensor data that would be very useful for control logic.

It seems pretty straightforward to get the data into RR from a UDP server stream. One can probably even use the Socket_Server module to do just that but we can also create something that is a bit more specific to the task at hand and easier to use.

What app would you prefer to use on your iPhone? We're toying with rolling our own since I'd expect the Android folks to ask for this feature as soon as they see this post too so having one protocol for all platforms might make sense. While there are also other apps to send the camera image from the iPhone to external machines that would be a good one also to wrap into that too since it also makes sense.

Let me know if there is an app you want to use otherwise we'll see what we can do ourselves. Ideally we can just use something that does both GPS, Acc, camera,etc. in one app.

STeven.
Dave from United States  [8 posts] 8 year
This is the app I'm using that ties directly to EZ builder which from RR can read the variables

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sensor-data-streamer/id608278214?mt=8

I'm sure there are others but this is the only one I've tried since there is a module in EZ to read the data....and EZ can be fed into RR.   I would prefer to run just one application which would be RR because of the Hokuyo LIDAR module and others that work other hardware I have in a direct fashion.

Either your own app for iphone and Android or incorporating Sensor Data Streamer by FNI and a corresponding Android equivalent would be a stellar addition.
Data selection....say compass heading only....would be nice too if it increases performance.

The stability of the phone data just blows away the little MPU9150 compass/accel/gyro board I bought which has messy data that is unusable unless processed in some fashion which I have no clue how to accomplish.

Dave

Dave from United States  [8 posts] 8 year
Another possibility is to get the sensor data from a tablet running full windows 8....some have a nice onboard compass, gyro etc.   I don't know how to do this but running a tablet on a bot is a very attractive option.

Steven Gentner from United States  [1446 posts] 8 year
Dave,

See

http://www.roborealm.com/help/Socket_Server.php

and note the example described. Seemed to work fine for me. It doesn't yet display the data in a nice way but you do have access to that information via variables.

Let me know if that works for you.

STeven.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index