Roborealm and Sabertooth 2x25
Andy from United States  [7 posts]
9 year
This is a multi part question. I apologize if this is not in the right spot. I want to build a "telepresence" Rover using a Saber-tooth 2x25 controller, Logitech Orbit AF camera, and a Meegopad T01 Micro windows 8.1 computer.
Ok problem number 1.
Roborealm will not control the motor controller ..... at all. I have followed both guides, the one in roborealm and the one on the dimension engineering site, but neither have been able to solve the problem.
Problem number 2
How do i control the rover using the built in web-server. I was able to connect to the webserver and see the image. However I'm not sure how to add the motor control.

Has anyone ever done this? Is it possible? Can someone point to an example of a telepresence rover that does not use a Roomba?  
Thank you for any help.

Steven Gentner from United States  [1446 posts] 9 year
Andy,

1. Have you tried the connection in a regular laptop? This is just to ensure that your wiring is correct (I assume you created/bought a USB to serial cable?). If it doesn't work with a regular laptop running Win7 its possible that either the wiring is incorrect, power is missing or you have a bad board.

If it does work, try running RR as admin on Win8. There are new security issues with Win8 that cause issues when trying to connect with peripherals.

2. Lets focus right now on getting the board to work. I can provide you with some examples on the web integration which is easier than debugging hardware issues.

STeven.
Andy from United States  [7 posts] 9 year
Ok i tried it on a "regular laptop" running Win 7, however it did not help. Im still not getting any response from the Sabertooth. I know the motor controller works i used it with a RC receiver and it worked fine. Any other suggestions?
Andy,

You are changing the dip switches to the correct configuration right? The RC mode will not work with a PC. Just checking ...

STeven.
Yep, based on the directions on both RoboRealm site and DE's site.
Its possible then that the wiring of the USB cable to the Sabertooth might not be working. Another test you can try is to hook it up to something like an Arduino with PWM mode and control it via that.

Where did you purchase the USB cable from?

STeven.
I bought the cable from http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1233, which was the link provided in the documentation page.
Its possible then that the wiring of the USB cable to the Sabertooth might not be working. Another test you can try is to hook it up to something like an Arduino with PWM mode and control it via that.

Where did you purchase the USB cable from?

STeven.
Andy,

Another possibility is that the protocol has changed to the Sabertooth. We don't get informed when or if this happens. Do you have any other application that perhaps Dimension Eng provides that runs on a PC to the Sabertooth? I'm still just trying to understand if the issue is software or hardware related.

We have added in more informative statements in the RR module to see if we can determine what might be going wrong there. So its worth downloading the most recent RR version and see if any new error pops up.

The last possibility is how the cable is finally wired to the board. Assuming that is done correctly I wonder if something is wrong with the serial part of the board. Do you get any indication on the board when moving one of the sliders on the Sabertooth GUI interface that it receives serial commands i.e. a blinking light?

STeven.
STeven
Yes I checked the cable connection multiple times to make sure everything was right based on DE. Following the directions to a "T" on the DE site or the RR site I still get the same results..... Nothing. When moving the sliders nothing happens nor are there any indication of life at all from the saber or software.
unless a new version of RR was released or updated within the last month i have the latest copy.  
Steve
I was able to hookup an arduino mega with the sketch file what was provided by RR. I hooked up the sabertooth to the arduino with S1 from the ST to Pin 7 (PWM) on the Arduino and S2 on Pin 8. after setting the dip switches to different setting I was able to get some movement but it was not a clean movement.
I did take a servo and using on board power pins from the Arduino and pin 7 i was able to make the servo move. I'm just dont know how i can make the arduino work the Sabertooth to controll to motor in differential drive.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index