RoboRealm Network Tables
Donnie  [7 posts]
9 year
We're having trouble receiving the data on Network_Tables in our c++ program.  TableViewer doesn't appear to be part of the downloads or compatible with RoboRio so we can't really even see if data is being sent to the table.  We can telnet into the port (1735) so we know it's open and available.
It seems like a configuration issue.  Not entirely sure how to setup the Options/ Prefix ... tried /SmartDashboard/  with the slashes in various places to no success.  Tried blank there, no success.
We are using eclipse with C++ and when we send something, COG_X to the tables, and try to write that to the SmartDashboard, we don't seem to get any data from the table.  However, we can put variable data on the smartdashboard that changes via the putNumber method.  So, it seems that RoboRealm can write to the NetworkTables and eclipse can read what it writes to the network tables but no communication between eclipse and RoboRealm seems to be happening.
Steven Gentner from United States  [1446 posts] 9 year
Donnie,

If TableViewer is not compatible with RoboRio then the NetworkTables module will not be either ... but based on your description it seems it is? This would imply that TableViewer is also. I'm also not sure what you mean by "no communication between eclipse and RoboRealm seems to be happening" since eclipse is an editor and not something that would normally communicate with RoboRealm. Or are you equating eclipse to your C++ program?

I would first suggest getting Tableviewer to work so that you can see what variables are available in the network tables server on the RoboRio. Then you can add RR to the mix and see what new variables become available if any.

STeven.
Donnie  [7 posts] 9 year
I don't think compatibility is the issue, I think some setting somewhere is the problem.  I've not seen anyone else with this issue, so I'm not sure what we're doing wrong.  The whole problem is getting information out of the tables from the RoboRio.  We have the right server information, the right port, but I'm not sure about the prefix.  I don't think we need the API server or the Web Server running.  The windows Firewall is off.  I can telnet into port 1735 so the port is there and open.  
Ok, when you say out of the RoboRio do you mean from the RoboRio to RR or from the RoboRio to your C++ app?

Sorry, we don't have this platform available for us to test so need to rely on very accurate reports from teams.

Also, just to confirm, you are running RR version 2.70 or later? If you are running last years RR version that might be one of the issues.

STeven.
Donnie  [7 posts] 9 year
not sure how to check the version, but I believe we've downloaded the latest recently.
Eclipse, using C++, doesn't seem to be able to see the datatables, which I'm assuming RoboRealm is writing to the RoboRio, thus the need for the server IP and the port.
RR's version is right in the application title ... i.e. the thing you grab when you move the window :-)

It's not eclipse that is not seeing the tables, its your C++ app. Once the app runs eclipse is out of the picture ... unless you are writing an eclipse plugin?

Can you post your C++ app here? Or at least the network tables function?

At this point try to access something that you know is in the Network tables and just ignore RR for now. You have an issue with your code that first needs to be resolved.

STeven.
Donnie  [7 posts] 9 year
Can you advise as to how to view something on the tables?
We are running 2.7.1
I don't mean to be arrogant but that's what TableViewer is used for and why I mentioned it before. Do you need some instructions as to how to get that running? It has two modes. One being a server (which you don't want) and the other is to connect to a remote server, i.e. the roborio. Its well worth putting the effort into getting that to run as it is very informative.

As its difficult to find I've attached what we used. Its a java file so you have to run it using a couple commands that are included in the TableViewer.bat which can be run directly. Again, this is from the 2014 season. Hope this helps!

STeven.
TableViewer.zip
Donnie  [7 posts] 9 year
That's what I was looking for.  With RoboRio, the TableViewer software wasn't available.  Thanks for providing it!
So, we ran it, and the data from RoboRealm doesn't seem to appear.
There is a SmartDashboard entry under the NetworkTables heirarchy, however, we are trying to write COG_X and COG_Y to the SmartDashboard, and neither of them are showing up in the TableViewer.
Donnie  [7 posts] 9 year
So, when we run batch file, the console comes up and is throwing an exception.  The png displays that.

Donnie  [7 posts] 9 year
We solved the problem by reformatting our roboRio.  As soon as we did that, RoboRealm AND LabView AND SmartDashboard started behaving properly.  Thanks for you help!

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index