Bug?
Steve Woodrough from United States  [47 posts]
10 year
When I try to activate the MCU module RR all but locks up.  Frame rate drops to <1 fps.  Am I doing something wrong?  
Regards,
Steve
program.robo
Steven Gentner from United States  [1446 posts] 10 year
Stev,

Can you try this on the latest version?

What MCU were you trying to communicate with?

STeven.
Steve Woodrough from United States  [47 posts] 10 year
Propeller chip and RR 2.59.2
got it to work once while running Propeller Communicator and even then the frame rate dropped to 8 fps.  Mostly it would lock up RR.  Wish I could provide more useful feedback, but it just that bad.  
Steve
STeven,
On the chance that maybe the problem is hardware specific, I grabbed a different Prop board (Demo Board), loaded the Propeller_Communicator Object into RAM, then opened RR, created New file, activated my laptop integral camera, inserted MCU module in RR pipeline, set to same COM port that I used to load the spin file, and had the same result as before.  FPS goes down fast and hard and RR becomes unresponsive.  I'm as interested as you are in resolving this, so let me know what else we like to try.  

THANK YOU,
Steve
Steven Gentner from United States  [1446 posts] 10 year
Steve,

The reason for the slowdown is that the module is attempting to connect with the COM port but not receiving the correct response (MCUC), trying this for about a second and then bailing only to try again on the next pipeline iteration.

Most likely this is caused by not having the serial pins set correctly in the MCU Propeller Communicator spin file that you uploaded. You can also try contacting the board using the serial terminal and sending the 129 (128+1) character (0x81) and seeing if you get the text MCUC in response. You'll then know that the serial communication is working as expected and can then close that down and run the RR module.

STeven.
STeven,
I have verified the pins 31 RX 30 TX , the baud rate 115200, and the COM port  with no success.  Here is the procedure I am following, let me know what I am doing wrong.  
1- I load the Propeller Communicator object from your website onto the Prop.  The ONLY modification was changing the servo object to Servo32V7 from Servo32V5.
2 - I open the  MCU_Communicator.robo  file from your website into version 2.59.2, and change the COM port to the port used to load the file above.  

At that point the only way to close RoboRealm is to use the windows task manager.  

Is there some other procedure I should be following? I did not understand your suggestion referencing a code 129 character.  

Does anybody have a working example for a Propeller chip?

Thank You
Steve

Alessandro Zippilli from United Kingdom  [2 posts] 10 year
Have the same problem with RR 2.59.9 on a windows 8.1 machine x64 (i sent all details through email) and arduino.  The mcu communicator sketch is loaded; serial is working at 115200 but when i open the communicator in RR; it freeze and crash roborealm.

The same thing doesn't happen in the old version i have on another machine 2.17 with windows 7
Steven Gentner from United States  [1446 posts] 9 year
Steve,

The 129 character would be a one byte binary character that you would send to check that the Propeller code is installed correctly. If it is, then it would respond with the MCUC 4 byte test response. If you look at the Propeller code, you'll notice this correspondence.

Sometimes testing with a serial tool that you are familiar with can help isolate the issue as being with RR or not. If you have another serial program that you can connect to the Propeller board and send a binary 129 character you should see a response. If you don't then something is most likely not configured correctly.

From what it sounds like RR, is apparently locking up due to waiting on a timeout for the board to respond. If things are correctly connected RR will appear functional and responive. If the pins are NOT correct then communication will not happen and RR will wait some amount of seconds just in case things have not yet connected. While it is waiting, it appears to be disabled because of the way the pipeline takes priority over GUI elements.

STeven.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index