Obstacle Avoidance Laser System
Cherault from France  [8 posts]
11 year
Dear all,

I have a project whch will permit to detect and avoid obstacle, using three lasers beams, using RR.

The Left Laser will sent a beam on the right of the robot.
The Right Laser will sent a beam on the left of the robot.
The Central Laser will send a beam just in front of the robot.

The main goal is to detect an obstacle and avoid it using lasers and webcam connected to RR.

I don't have any experience with RR (Fabulous software !), but i would like to know if i can manage my robot with those device to avoid obstacles.

The three beams are detected by the webcam.
I will plot two lines above and below the beams, as a detection window to integrate an error (More or less 20 pixels around the beams).

In real life, if beam touch a wall for exemple, its coordinates will goes up and pass throught the window detection.
Like this, i could manage the wheels of the robot to go on the right, until the three beams comes back within the windows.

The problem is i don't know how to program this in Basic.

Could you help me please ?

Thanks for your help ansd support

Regards,
Steven Gentner from United States  [1446 posts] 11 year
Cherault,

Its easier if there is an image that can be used as an example. What you want to do is to have one image near an obstacle and one far away. In that way we can understand how to detect the lasers and how much the variation in height to expect from an near versus far object.

If you can post what you have that might help this project along.

Also, when taking pictures using lasers be sure to underexpose (i.e. make the image very dark) in order to just show the laser lights ... otherwise in a normal image the CCD's will be over exposed and not easy to extract out from the image.

STeven.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index