speed data
Dawson from Malaysia  [173 posts]
12 year
Hi STeven,

The NMEA protocal also provides speed data. I dont see this in the GPS reader module. Is it possible to extract this data?
Anonymous 12 year
Dawson,

I assume you meant ground speed?

We now parse for speed in GPRMC, GPVTG and GPRMA.

Two new variables

GPS_SPEED_MPH
GPS_SPEED_KM

contain that speed in their respective units (converted from Knots).

2.44.7 includes this update.

Let me know if you encounter any issues.

STeven.
Dawson from Malaysia  [173 posts] 12 year
Ok thanks. Will give feedback once i commence testing
STeven

Tested gps reader module. Could not get it to work. RR seems to hang when i try to remove the module or close RR. The module sees the device ie i can choose it from the COM port but it does not show the satelite info.
Device info:
USB GPS dongle
SiRF III chipset with embeded ARM7TDMI CPU
Support NMEA 0183 v3.0

Anonymous 12 year
Dawson,

Just to clarify, did the module work before this update or is this the first time you are attempting to use the GPS module? This helps us focus our troubleshooting efforts.

STeven.
Hi STeven

Its the first time i am trying this module out as i just got the GPS dongle.
Anonymous 12 year
Dawson,

Is this the module you purchased?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390374075655+&item=390374075655&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466

Its possible that something is going wrong with the serial configuration. Perhaps a buad rate is not correct? If RR sticks when you try to exit then its probably a serial config issue and not a formatting issue ... since that would exit cleanly.

If we know the specific device we can better understand what might be going wrong. The GPS modules have a defined NMEA protocol but I doubt they all use the same serial settings ...

STeven.
Yes i suspect there is some driver issue. I will get back to you on this. Thanks
Anonymous 12 year
Testing Update

Windows7 - Not working

WindowsXP - Working

The GPS test app (acquires current location) works on both systems.
Test done with RR version 2.44.9
Anonymous 12 year
Can you be more specific by what you mean when you say not working for Win7?

Can you also try using the Serial module on Win7 and connect it to the GPS device? You should see the NMEA strings being send and printed. This offers us another data point in case something is wrong with all serial modules on Win7 or if it is specific to the GPS module.

STeven.
Does RR require Win7 to detect the GPS device as a location sensor (in control panel) or does RR access the COM port directly?
In my case the device is not detected as a location sensor. It shows up in device manager as a USB to serial bridge or virtual COM port.
Anonymous 12 year
Dawson,

RR would look for it as a USB to serial bridge or virtual COM port.

That's the reason the serial module should also work to double check if the connection is good. Not sure why XP would work but Win7 not. Maybe you are not logged in as admin on win7?

STeven.
Yes it was a driver problem. Updated the driver. Its working now
Thanks.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index