for EDV
Mel Addison  [42 posts]
12 year
Hey ED!
   I finally got my hands on a Roomba robot that I could try with the Nav programs. I went through all of the items and tutorials.  When I placed the robot in the NAV mode, it moved. All others did not move unless I used the arrows to train them.  The Nav by map mode showed the progress, but I could not get it to move by clicking on Left mouse. When I clicked on Left mouse it did not do anything. I would like to make that work. Can it work on it's own, or do I have to train it in one of the other modes?
    While it was navigating for the first time, it did a lot of small meticulous movements and backed up into the wall many times. It was like stuck going into the wall backwards for quite some time. Is this all normal for it to do?
     I plan to get some videos once I get the darn thing mastered.
     I did not try to follow the red object yet. or, follow any object yet. My main thing is for it to navigate using the video instead of the bumpers and to do as if it where in the doom/quake example except in real life. I have lots of obstacles because I am in a small apartment.
     I ran out of battery juice on the notebook and the Roomba. So, I am asking these questions in between so I can run another test.  
     Thanks for your willingness to help me get this smoothed out.

Mel
Mel Addison  [42 posts] 12 year
I thought of something. I AM using an Auto-focus camera. Could that be what is making it jerk?

Mel
EDV  [328 posts] 12 year
I prepared simple video tutorial "Route training and navigation by map":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVz9iBazqug

Don't forget that you should use servo for camera turning and use variable NV_TURRET_BALANCE in this case. It is important for initial localization of "Marker mode" and "Navigation by map" modes.
The camera is fixed.
Mel
Thanks, that is a nice tutorial. I was wondering if we can have it work automatically without a map in an unfamiliar environment.  Just obstacle recognition driving anywhere. Sort of like your Quake3 demo but with real life.
Mel
EDV  [328 posts] 12 year
I am working in this direction (walking mode) but it not so easily to get it:
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?3510-Autonomous-robot-s-navigation&p=44205#post44205
I will bet it is not easy. But, it is what we need. Bless you for tackling this. Let us know when you have achieved it.

Good work so far!

:-)
I will bet it is not easy. But, it is what we need. Bless you for tackling this. Let us know when you have achieved it.

Good work so far!

:-)

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index