Webcsm with Zoom Facility
Anonymous from India  [2 posts]
13 year
Hi,

Anyone suggest me the webcam with zoom facility.I need to control the zoom through software.I need minimum 2MP resolution.

Regards
Sivakumar.G
fred miller from United States  [72 posts] 13 year
some webcams do have zoom but not very good,and no code to use it in another program
i been looking for one too for long time and havent seen one but
there is a way it can be done buy a webcam then take is apart and add a c mount adapter then attach a zoom lens with c mount

another way is to by a video camera with zoom lens and video to usb adapter
Anonymous 13 year
Logitech Orbit/Sphere Pan/Tilt has mechanized zoom that can be controlled via software.

LiveCam at http://www.trossenrobotics.com/p/Microsoft-LifeCam-Cinema-Webcam-HD-robot-camera.aspx also appears to have mechanical zoom that can be controlled via software.

STeven.
Steven where did you see that info about controling zoom with software ,doesnt say in manual,i have one of HD camera's
mostly all logitech and others you can use the software to control zoom
but not with a outside source or C++ code,i am thinking that's what he is looking for ,and me too
most likely he need a webcam with SDK
Anonymous from India  [2 posts] 13 year
Hi,

I need to control the zoom through third party s/w. Is this facility available in Logitech QuickCam® Orbit AF?Please confirm.earlier we had used Quick Cam pro 9000 in that we have that facility.Currently we are looking for the same.

Regards
Siva
Anonymous 13 year
Opps, my bad. I was thinking about focus. The orbit does NOT have mechanical zoom, it DOES have mechanical focus. Fred, you are correct in that most webcams have a "zoom" but it is a digital one and not mechanical. With most modern day webcams they have an imaging plane much larger than what you are currently using. For example, if you are using a 320x240 image with a camera that can provide a 1024x768 image that means you are getting a scaled down image or subsampled image from the 1024x768 one. The digital zoom then is created by instead moving this 320x240 image around the larger imaging plane without subsampling ... so in a sense it is a valid zoom but is limited by the CCD sensor size. And in some cases once the physical limitations are passed the driver will interpolate pixels to get a non-true but approximate zoom ... which is normally less desirable.

So if you are looking for a 2MP image and be able to zoom with that same resolution as far as we know you are out of luck with webcams. What you will need to do is look at regular CCD camcorders and use a firewire/digitizing process to get that image into the computer or purchase a camcorder that can act like a webcam when connected to a computer. The issue is that the zoom control may not be exposed to programming APIs unless stated by the manufacturer.

Or perhaps the astronomy guys have a solution in this area ...

You will probably have to do a bit more research in this area to find the right solution. The webcam area is probably not where you will find a solution or at least that we are aware off.

STeven.
another idea i am looking at and trying is getting ccd camera with video output and usb to video adapter and getting a zoom lens with motors or with out,one with motors very high cost ones ,one wth out can attach a servo to the arm on lens,supercircuits have alot of them
board camera's dont have a c mount for most zoom lens ,but i did find 12.5 mm board camera thread to c mount or get a c mount camera on the site ,they do have many ,with and with out
also webcams use the same 12.5 mm lens ,so you can buy the c mount and then zoom lens will pass links on c mount adapter and lens i found or bought
Anonymous 13 year
Fred, sounds like that works! Just a matter of getting the right connections.

Another thought would be to check out the security cameras ... they will be more expensive than webcams but they typically have built in mechanical zoom and are meant to be used with applications that can control them.

STeven.
security cams was one of my ideas,i saw a few not too high cost with zoom

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index