FTP upload Frequency issue
moot from United States  [22 posts]
15 year
I'm setting the Frequency section of FTP Images.
The Send Every and Between seem to have issues.
When I shutdown RR and restart RR the values will change to blank (in Send Every) or 1.

Looking in the working.robo it seems that the values may be written incorrectly.  In RR I set Send Every to 59 seconds and set Between to 7am-7pm.
The values in the .robo file are:
For first <FTP_Images>
<Ftp_Images>
  <maintain_connection>TRUE</maintain_connection>
  <number_from>1</number_from>
  <end_time>57600</end_time>
  <limit_time_type>-1</limit_time_type>
  <between>TRUE</between>
  <filename>autosnap1.jpg</filename>
  <freq_type>1</freq_type>
  <freq_num>59</freq_num>
  <number_images>FALSE</number_images>
  <hostname>***edited out***</hostname>
  <is_recording>FALSE</is_recording>
  <port>21</port>
  <username>***edited out***</username>
  <password>***edited out***</password>
  <start_time>57600</start_time>
  <once_every>TRUE</once_every>
  <image_to_save>Current</image_to_save>
</Ftp_Images>

For second <FTP_Images>
<Ftp_Images>
  <maintain_connection>TRUE</maintain_connection>
  <number_from>1</number_from>
  <end_time>57600</end_time>
  <limit_time_type>-1</limit_time_type>
  <between>TRUE</between>
  <filename>autosnap2.jpg</filename>
  <freq_type>1</freq_type>
  <freq_num>59</freq_num>
  <number_images>FALSE</number_images>
  <hostname>***edited out***</hostname>
  <is_recording>FALSE</is_recording>
  <port>21</port>
  <username>***edited out***</username>
  <password>***edited out***</password>
  <start_time>14400</start_time>
  <once_every>TRUE</once_every>
  <image_to_save>Current</image_to_save>
</Ftp_Images>

Any clues?

moot from United States  [22 posts] 15 year
This issue is getting more annoying because my ISP (AT&T) is working on the lines in my area in preparation for Uverse. There are connection problems and interruptions. Every time the module errors out I have to close the error dialogue and restart the module (and reset the Frequency values). Please see my other post FTP_Image module enhancement
(http://www.roborealm.com/forum/index.php?thread_id=3163#)

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make 'em think...

I going to go out on a limb here - but - it appears that other portions of the FTP_Image Module got confused also.

After playing around with changes to the module parameters I find that:

1. The only way it works consistently is to leave the Frequency values unchecked.
2. It appears that checking the Maintain FTP Network Connection is also required.

I've had it running for a couple of hours without any issues (as described above).
As soon as I touch Frequency the module has 'connection' issues.
Hope you have time to look into this.

p.s. - I'm still curious as to what the numbers on the right side of the module pipeline box mean...

Try the latest version that has a couple of FTP_Image fixes.

v.2.0.6.6

1. We tested the frequency values and found them to be ok in this version. Can you test and see if you experience the same?

2. The popup will not happen unless the connection has not been successful. This will allow for bad information being entered to be detected but will not complain if an existing connection fails.

3. Checking 'Maintain ...' will just close the connection after each upload and reopen it when trying again. This is needed if you are using an FTP connection that times out very quickly. If you are sending images < 20 seconds frequency I'd keep this checked ... otherwise I'd allow the connection to close to save resources on the FTP server.

4. The numbers of the right are timing values for each module. I.e. how long does each module take. Note that at very low values the timing is not precise and therefore can be ignored. It is meant as a debugging value to see why the pipeline may be slow.

STeven.
Thanks. I've downloaded 2.0.6.6 and am starting by just setting the Frequency to 59 seconds. I've left everything else the same. I will change other setting after letting this 'burn in' for a while - at least 4 hours.
I'll let you know in a day or two of running, if all goes well...

Well, it has been running for about 4 hours now. Although my pings have fluctuated from 100%, 25%, 0% loss RR has not errored out. I'll change the Frequency, Between now to 7pm - 7am and see what happens tomorrow morning. It is now after 10:17pm.

I tried to post but got a 404 - that's how bad AT&T is now...

I mistyped in my previous post - I meant to say 7am-7pm. I checked the setting this morning and they (Frequency, Between) where set 7am - 7pm. - but the uploads were being processed at or before 6:10am. I did not shutdown RR and restart after I changed the settings.
It's about 6:30am now and I stopped the FTP_Image Modules, changed the time to Between 7:00PM and 7:00AM - started the module. I appears to have stopped sending.
I changed the times back to 7am-7pm and even though it is 6:36am images are being sent. I shut RR down. I check the web page and when it refreshed at 6:39 the pictures were Date/Time stamped 6:36:45 AM and 6:37:01 AM. I restarted RR at 6:42am.
I got 'failed to connect errors' from the second instance of the FTP_Image module and had to clear the error and restart it. The first module, even though set to start at 7am was sending immediately after restarting RR.
I restarted the second module again, trying to time the start at least 30 seconds after the first module had sent an image. I started and began sending images before 7am.
At least it didn't error (yet).
I would still like to see the module validate the error - i.e., user pass/id vs. port vs. general timeout.  I haven't looked at FTP result codes in a while but I seem to remember that it is possible, could be wrong. I wrote some code a few years back that would automatically check IP addressing and attempt FTP connections and return the results to a log, used it to check connectivity between SMTP servers for the company. Have to dig it out and see if it still works (under XP).
But I digress, although the Between seems to have an issue, RR has been running now for >20 minutes without an error (even though AT&T is dropping packets and ping is showing packet loss, average round trip to FTP site is 45ms, when they get through. Using ping -t, after 100 packets I had min 32ms, max 381, 21% loss)

Well, I'll keep testing... would you know a good version of tracert that works? Seems the version supplied by MS doesn't work too well on these new network router configurations they (AT&T, etc.) have set.

Between set 7am-7pm. It sent the last images at 3:59 - is there a time zone setting? Isn't RR using the clients clock?

I'll let this run awhile and change the Maintain FTP Network Connection (now checked) later. Generally, is it better to just maintain the open connection or does it use more resourses (on server side) to login/logout? Does the module logout? or just break the connection?

The latest version has a timezone tweak which will hopefully correct the timezone error.

It does use resources on both sides to hold the connection open ... unless you FTP server times out which most will do. Depends on the frequency of updates ... < 20 seconds keep it open, > 20 seconds close the connection but that's just a rule of thumb and not based on actual server side stats.

The module logs out using the FTP command QUIT (nicely).

STeven.
I did a download of RR. This time the following files were password protected when I tried to extract them:

1394camera.dll, FreeImage.dll, Hooks.dll, inpout32.dll, and RoboRealm.exe

I skipped the files and restarted RR. Changed Frequency, Between back to 7am-7pm.
I'll let you know after 7pm...

I doubt they were password protected but instead were probably still active. You need to exit RR before installing the new version. Given that you did not overwrite RoboRealm.exe I would not expect that the application got updated. Try exiting RR and then unzipping the files again. They are NOT password protected.

STeven.
Sorry, my bad... Looks good. I have to give my compliments for exemplary support.
Thank you very much.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index