Remote PTZ of Quick Cam
Joel from United States  [5 posts]
15 year
I have read the tutorials about remote control of a Quick Cam and was wondering if it would be possible to control the cameras remotely without downloading the software on the local box/server. Does the socket listener have this capability? Could we set up the PTZ buttons and the functionality remotely and access the camera directly through the listener?
Anonymous 15 year
Joel,

Yes, you can use the Distributor Server and Distributor Client to split where the images get served to the web and the machine that is connected to the webcam.

To test this out you will need two machines (the follow will NOT run on the same machine) with RoboRealm running. Then on the machine that has the camera (assuming the orbit here) load in the following attached robofile. This is where the server is created and will send images/variables out to other RR applications.

program.robo
Anonymous 15 year
The second attached robofile below is for the client or the machine that you want to use to connect the web browser to. Load in the robofile into that RoboRealm and ensure that the webserver is enabled. Note that you will have to configure the distributor client with the correct IP/hostname of the computer attached to the camera.

That should do it.

STeven.
program.robo
Joel from United States  [5 posts] 15 year
Thanks for the help Steven! We will give it a go!
NairB from United Kingdom  [41 posts] 15 year
Joel & STeven,

Excuse my ignorance here but I am trying to figure out exactly what this does?

@Joel - Are you trying to for example, put pan/tilt buttons on a webpage without them being on the RoboRealm index.html.

So in other words, control the webcam with such buttons on a seperate webpage?

Sorry for my stupidity (embarrassed).

-NairB :)
Anonymous 15 year
NairB,

From our understanding his desire was to serve the video to the web from a different machine than the one the webcam is on. I.e. the webcam machine cannot be accessed via the web .. which is frequently the case due to firewalls, proxies, etc.

Or at least this is what we understood. :-)

STeven.
We have two machines. 1) The machine attached to the webcam and 2) A remote machine that will have the roborealm software downloaded.  What we would like to do is access machine 1, the one attached to the webcam, through a listener and access the PTZ functions of the camera.  We would like to access machine 1 through PTZ software on machine 2 which would  be running RR software remotely. Machine 1 would have no software installed.
NairB from United Kingdom  [41 posts] 15 year
Got it...thanks guys :)

-NairB
Steve,

Is this possible? Right now we do not have the processing speed on the machine attached to the software to run the roborealm software. I hope I explained the situation clearly.

Joel
Sorry, I meant to say ..........Right now we do not have the processing speed on the machine attached to the web cam to run the roborealm software

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index