Philips Webcam alternative
Paul D from Canada  [45 posts]
16 year
Hello,

I am using a Philips SPC900NC CCD webcam that is fast and provides great images. Every time I reboot I lose the camera settings - it resets itself to be fully automatic. The camera setting module only offers saturation, contrast, brightness and gamma control.

I found WcRmac whick allows for some control of the camera and read/write of the eeprom chip but it does not affect all camera settings.

I like the look of the Imaging Source example in firewire camera control module.

Does anyone know of a way in RoboRealm (or another program) to have full programatic control of camera settings?

Or can someone suggest another USB camera that allows for complete camera control via DirectX.

Dave from United States  [84 posts] 16 year
I have the same camera and when I install the software for it, there is a little icon (of a camera?) down on the right corner of your screen. This allowes a few controls such as fps, etc., though I'm not sure what other controls it has nor can I look being its on my notbook computer. This control loads when the computer is booted which I was trying to disable it, but the last few times I used the notbook, this ocon didn't load so I don't know what happened to it, but my srttings are still the same.

Dave
Anonymous 16 year
Paul,

If you go to the Options Dialog->Video->Video Format button and select the Picture tab do you see the "save" button in the GUI? Have you tried to set all the options using that interface and then save them? Does it still revert back to the original settings after a reboot then?

The Camera Properties dialog is based on DirectX and not all options are made available via DirectX. Using the Cameras own dialogs (accessed by the above route) is probably the best way to go.

Is there a particular setting you need preserved or just all in general?

STeven.
Paul D from Canada  [45 posts] 16 year
I am using RoboRealm to automate picture taking and color analysis which requires color and exposure control. The settings I cannot control in RoboRealm via the DirectX camera control -- white balance, frame rate and gain -- are all important.

I have tried the Save button in the Philips driver.  After each reboot the camera still reverts to automatic exposure.

I have one last option -- the PWC linux drivers that allow for more control. If that doesn't work I will have to go with a different camera. Shame, the camera takes great pictures.

This forum thread has been closed due to inactivity (more than 4 months) or number of replies (more than 50 messages). Please start a New Post and enter a new forum thread with the appropriate title.

New Post   Forum Index